NEIPA Distilled Water Build?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ap0352

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before. I did a little searching but didn't see exactly what I was looking for...
Are there any "simple" distilled water build by style calculators out there that will tell me exactly what to add for a NEIPA profile at XX gallons of water?
I've tried to understand Brunwater but it's mind boggling to me...

For each gallon of water, add 0.5 g CaSO4 and 1.5 g CaCl2. Won't be perfect, but it'll get you in the ballpark.

Edit: This will give you plenty of calcium, and a 2:1 or 3:1 chloride-to-sulfate ratio. If you were to tweak it you might think about a small amount of magnesium, or I like a little sodium, but as I said: ballpark.

For each gallon of water, add 0.5 g CaSO4 and 1.5 g CaCl2. Won't be perfect, but it'll get you in the ballpark.

Edit: This will give you plenty of calcium, and a 2:1 or 3:1 chloride-to-sulfate ratio. If you were to tweak it you might think about a small amount of magnesium, or I like a little sodium, but as I said: ballpark.
Playing with Brunwater this morning and target profile for pale ale is 300ppm sulfate and 55ppm chloride. This sounds like the opposite of a 2 or 3:1 chloride to sulfate.... Confused

Playing with Brunwater this morning and target profile for pale ale is 300ppm sulfate and 55ppm chloride. This sounds like the opposite of a 2 or 3:1 chloride to sulfate.... Confused

This is for my hazy using 100% ro water. Using Bru n water.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230322_070514_Grainfather.jpg
    Screenshot_20230322_070514_Grainfather.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 0
High sulfate levels are when you have a very bitter beer and want to accentuate that bitterness and give it a dry, flinty, minerally character. Good for a crisp APA or west-coast IPA. But for a NEIPA, you have little or no hop bitterness, and high chloride tends to give a more rounded mouthfeel and accentuate malt flavors.

I like to make beers with 30-40 IBUs and a ton of fruit-forward hops. High Cl:SO4 works for me there, too.

5.5 gal batch using distilled water

5g Gypsum
8g CaCl
2g Epsom
3g Ascorbic Acid

All added to nearly 5 gal of mash water volume. Nothing to sparge. Based on a grain bill of nearly 17 lbs (Double NEIPA)

I'm unsure if you need to adjust based on mash water/grain volume or total water volume. I would assume so.

I think your best bet is to find and learn a water chemistry calculator so you can plug in your own recipe for more accuracy.

Latest posts

Back