Neighbor has a huge, healthy fig tree-- how can we put it to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoePro

Reaction score
So, my neighbor owns this little green space in the middle of our little hood, and they grow all sorts of wonderful things there-- apples, some pears, figs, raspberries.

I'm new to homebrewing, but I'd like to say I have a refined palette. I would think that Figs and ginger would go really well together, but I have no idea about a base recipe.

Could you guys help me figure this one out?

Neighbor has a huge, healthy fig tree

Is that what the kids are calling it now days? *nudge nudge wink wink*

Seriously, not sure how to go about utilizing figs. I've only ever had them dried. But it sounds like a great adventure to try to blend something. Somehow, figs and a nutty brown ale sounds pretty good to me. Not sure about the ginger in that combi, though.

There's a killer technique for using figs. Brew a BDSA. When it's done fermenting, super heat a wok over a burner. Caramelize the figs in the wok, then deglaze with some of the beer. Add all that to a secondary and rack the beer from primary on to it.

There's a killer technique for using figs. Brew a BDSA. When it's done fermenting, super heat a wok over a burner. Caramelize the figs in the wok, then deglaze with some of the beer. Add all that to a secondary and rack the beer from primary on to it.

Oh my deer, sweet jesus...

I don't think I can compete with Denny's suggestion, but canning some fig preserves to use as a glaze for lamb chops or similar cuts (or dessert toppings) is friggin outstanding.

BDSA with figs sounds damn good.

What kind of fig tree is it, BTW? Several different varieties that produce significantly different flavor profiles.

I don't think I can compete with Denny's suggestion, but canning some fig preserves to use as a glaze for lamb chops or similar cuts (or dessert toppings) is friggin outstanding.

BDSA with figs sounds damn good.

What kind of fig tree is it, BTW? Several different varieties that produce significantly different flavor profiles.

It's a Celeste fig tree. You have me so hungry right now, too. :mad:

In Brew LIke a Monk there is mention of a guy that puts raisins in at the end of the boil for a dubbel. Figs sound like they will be good also

I also have a fig tree, this year I am going to do a fig wine, and was thinking of a fig porter.

however I may have to shift gears to the Belgian Dark using Denny's suggestion, sounds like a killer idea!!

Yeah, I totally agree-- Denny's suggestion is absolutely killer. I would also like to see if I can't make a small batch of Fig lambic. It would be stellar!

I know this is a "beer" section of the forum, but the fig melomel I made a couple of years ago is awesome. After a couple of years, I have people bringing me bags of figs at work and asking me to make more. The ladies think it is magical stuff. ;) I planted my own Celeste fig tree in my yard two years ago. Don't quite get the necessary 5 lbs of figs off it yet.

Funny thing is that I have some BDSA (I had to look that one up) aging in my keezer. It's the 2011 Christmas Ale I made on Jan 1st. I'll bottle it around Thanksgiving.

I hate you bastages that can grow fig trees. I have tried what claims to be the "hardiest Northern fig" variety 3 times now and have not gotten anywhere, even right next tot he house where the foundation and southern exposure should have been quite the insulator... nope. Dead after 1 winter.

Just had to get that off my chest. I hate you guys.

I hate you bastages that can grow fig trees. I have tried what claims to be the "hardiest Northern fig" variety 3 times now and have not gotten anywhere, even right next tot he house where the foundation and southern exposure should have been quite the insulator... nope. Dead after 1 winter.

Just had to get that off my chest. I hate you guys.

Awww, man. No you're makin' me sad.

I'm not the fig plucker
I'm the fig plucker's son
I'll continue plucking figs
Till the fig plucker comes

Randar, you wish you could grow figs? I wish I could grow a decent tomato! when mine are almost ready to pick they split open, I have tried more water, less water, more shade, nothing seems to work for me. back in IL I could grow tomatos by the pound but out here by the time the tomatos are fruiting, it is well into the hundreds and they just suffer a beating.

Probably a good trade, but man, I am a fruit-growing fiend and it really bugs the crap out of me that I'm only 50-100 miles too far north to effectively grow em. grrrrr.

Randar, you wish you could grow figs? I wish I could grow a decent tomato! when mine are almost ready to pick they split open, I have tried more water, less water, more shade, nothing seems to work for me. back in IL I could grow tomatos by the pound but out here by the time the tomatos are fruiting, it is well into the hundreds and they just suffer a beating.

It's the humidity (well, lack thereof) that causes the splitting.

In Brew LIke a Monk there is mention of a guy that puts raisins in at the end of the boil for a dubbel. Figs sound like they will be good also

I learned the caramelize in a wok trick with raisins in a BDSA. Fantastic! Way more flavor than just adding them to the boil or secondary wothout caramelizing.

I learned the caramelize in a wok trick with raisins in a BDSA. Fantastic! Way more flavor than just adding them to the boil or secondary wothout caramelizing.

How long do you caramelize them? I run my wok on the turkey fryer burner so it gets crazy hot.

How long do you caramelize them? I run my wok on the turkey fryer burner so it gets crazy hot.

Until they're done...ya, not much help. I used the turkey fryer burner, too. That's the best way. 2-3 minutes should be enough, but you kinda need to go by eye.

my wok is heavily seasoned with years of burnt oil, leaving a protective, non-stick coating.
careful. you may want to go buy a brand new (teflon kinda thing) small stovetop wok.

an imperial porter sounds perfect for the raisin-y addition.

how exactly are you guys caramelizing these? toss them in a frying pan with some sugar and water, then deglaze when needed? don't want to use any oils.

themadfermentationist did a dark saison with figs, brett c and more. Apparently patience is required for that recipe, because he made it 16 months ago and hasn't posted a tasting. But he has 3 other similar recipes on his site, 2 with tastings, so you can get some ideas there.

I did a BDSA with 1 pound of dried figs in 2 gallons, only I'm not as smart as Denny, so I didn't caramelize them. Questionable yeast choices notwithstanding, it turned out well, although I couldn't tell you what tastes came from figs and what came from Special B. Again, I'm not as smart as Denny.

Latest posts

Back