NEES help re: Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nanilynn85

Reaction score
Brewed an imperial stout few weeks ago and last night we moved it to the secondary & prior to adding the beer we added vanilla infused vodka ( about a shot ). Tonight when I checked on it there is a light film spotted on the top, any idea what this is? Is it mold? Help!

Pictures would help quite a bit if you can get them. I doubt it is mold. Perhaps just degassing from being churned up a bit in the transfer.

Here is a pic of the carboy. We got 95% of the yeast out during transfer as well.

image-902175502.jpg

Looks like yeast rafts to me. How can you be sure that 95% of the yeast was left? It just seems like an arbitrary statement to me. Also, one shot of vanilla infused vodka probably won't be noticeable...

I was going off of what I saw but obviously could be wrong. So what would you recommend that I do? I didn't think a shot would be either but they recommended at the brew store letting 3 Madagascar vanilla beans cored and chopped soak in a shot of vodka for a week minimum so that's what we did.

Back