Needs some tips on true secondary for a Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stacie

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was hoping to get some troubleshooting advice for the following scenario:

I'm going to a big event in December and decided to make beer to share while I'm there. On Saturday, I bought a Porter kit (never made a Porter before, so the kit approach seemed simplest), two extra pounds of chocolate malts, and some organic vanilla bean. Yes, yum.

The kit came with Nottingham yeast from the recalled batch. I was unaware of the recall. When I hydrated it, it clumped at the bottom and looked weird, but I have profound faith in yeast and pitched it anyway.

The whole thing's in a 5 gallon glass carboy. On Sunday, there was no sign of fermentation, so I started googling to see if my OG might have been too high with the extra malt steep, and found out about the recall.

My LHBS is closed on Mondays, so I ran over and grabbed some White Labs liquid yeast, pitched it, and went about my day.

My Mocha Vanilla Porter has been foaming over for more than twenty hours now. I've lost an inch and a half of liquid volume. I think the Nottingham finally woke up and the two strains are having a party or a gang war in my wort. I'm running out of towels to put under the thing. It's blown two airlocks off, including one that went loudly enough to prompt middle-of-the-night barking from my dogs. Feisty, this one is.

Anyway, what I'd like to do is get it into secondary the minute active fermentation stops, but put it into a six gallon better bottle (just ordered one, since my current 6 has a summer fruit mead in it right now) and add another gallon of new fermentables to replace the lost volume. What sugars would you recommend for a true secondary on a big, bold Mocha-Vanilla Porter?

To help with the blowen off air locks, instead of the airlock, use a blow off tube. It will greatly decrease the chance of the the fermenter going boom.

if you add fermentables, its not secondary. its just primary part-deux.
and racking it like that, you'll probably need to pitch more yeast.

honestly, I'd just live with the loss. You can't make 5 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy without a blowoff and loss. there's just no room.

live n learn my friend.

Latest posts

Back