Needs More Melanoidins?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

belmontbrew

Reaction score
My thin beer problem is now a recurring one. I've done two batches: one a brown mild, the other a blonde ale. Both taste "thin" or watery, and both were extract-based (with steeping grains or partial mash). Both were also experimental 30-minute partial boils.

Could the thinness be a lack of melanoidins due to the short boil time? If so, does that mean every ale needs a certain amount of melanoidins for fullness? And if all of these are true, is there a way to get them in there without a long boil?

we need more details on your process and what motobrewer asked for.
Why are you doing 30 min boils?

Ok, first recipe is Jamil's dark mild (http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/Jamil/The_Jamil_Show_-_Dark_Mild_Extract.html) with WLP 022 (Essex).

Second recipe is:
6 lbs pilsener malt extract
1 lb Vienna
0.5 lb carapils

Grains are mashed in 0.5g water at 155 for 30 minutes, then batch sparged with 0.5g water at 166. Top up to 3g, bring to boil, add 2 oz Willamette and boil for 30 minutes. Cool in ice bath, add water to make 5 gallons. Repitch WLP 022 (Essex), about 1/2 cup of slurry.

Both then did 1 week primary, 1 week on gelatin, and bottle with low sugar (2oz). The sugar amount came from brew pal to match the styles.

No gravity readings available.

I'm trying the 30 minute boil since I have heard several times that long boils are mainly to drive off VSC's, which are pretty much gone already in extract. Also, that hops will give up 90% in 30 minutes. I'm hoping to save time and energy (electricity, not human) by reducing the boil length for my extract brews. I've also heard that people can get good results with "no boil" kits, where you are just sterilizing the pre-hopped wort.

I just did a quick check with BeerSmith for a 30 vs. 60 minute boil and it depends which method is used to calculate bitterness. Tinseth says the reduction is a little over 20%, but I find Tinseth to over-estimate late addition hops. Rager and Garetz are closer to 50%.

I think your IBUs are down due to your 30 minute boil. Next time, double the hops to account for the shortened boil.

The recipe is more delicate than malty. Use a pound of 60L crystal in place of the carapils, if you want more malt presence.

I actually did up the hops for the 30 minute boil. I was targeting 18 IBU's, which was previously accomplished with 1.5 oz for 60 minutes (according to Tinseth).

Back