Needs a dry finish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kristophelr

Reaction score
Made an American IPA. It us great, but finishes a bit ti sweet. Any suggestions on making it finish a bit drier.

11.5 lbs - Pale Malt (US)
1.25 lbs - Crystal Malt 20L
.75 lbs - Munich Malt
.75 lbs - Caramunich Malt
1 oz Magnum (60 min)
2 oz Centennial (10 min)
1 oz Simcoe (5 min)
1 oz Amarillo Gold (flame out)
California Ale yeast

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks all

Made an American IPA. It us great, but finishes a bit ti sweet. Any suggestions on making it finish a bit drier.

11.5 lbs - Pale Malt (US)
1.25 lbs - Crystal Malt 20L
.75 lbs - Munich Malt
.75 lbs - Caramunich Malt
1 oz Magnum (60 min)
2 oz Centennial (10 min)
1 oz Simcoe (5 min)
1 oz Amarillo Gold (flame out)
California Ale yeast

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks all

Yep- you have 2 pounds of crystal malt in there. That's WAY too much. I'd either cut it in half or leave it out entirely (particularly the crystal 20L which is pretty darn sweet), and add a bit more Munich and/or pale malt to make it up. Mash at 152.

My favorite amarillo/simcoe recipe is 13 pounds two-row, 6 ounces of amber malt. That's it! No crystal malt at all. It finishes "clean" and crisp and quaffable.

Thanks for the info. I'll cut out the Crystal 20 and up the 2 Row and Munich Malt. I'll let you know how ut turns out.

Consider lowering your mash temperature. You don't say what it is but try 148-150F. Your yeast prep is not noted either but if you are not making starters make a very big one for your next batch.

What's the reason for a lower mash temperature? I mashed this brew at about 152. I always make yeast starters. Additionally, i also pretty much hit my OG and FG right on the number, so i dont think it was a yeast issue.

What's the reason for a lower mash temperature? I mashed this brew at about 152.

You didn't tell us that in your original post. Bringing it down to 148/149 will give you a drier finish.

I always make yeast starters. Additionally, i also pretty much hit my OG and FG right on the number, so i dont think it was a yeast issue.

You didn't tell us that at first either. I was trying to come up with some possibilities. :mug:

I appreciate the feedback. I've only been brewing about 9 months, so all the info i get helps. Why lower the mash temperature? What does it do?

kristophelr said:
I appreciate the feedback. I've only been brewing about 9 months, so all the info i get helps. Why lower the mash temperature? What does it do?

It makes your wort more fermentable, leaving less residual sugars after the yeasties are done. 148F is good to dry out a beer. But your problem really is all that crystal which would be sweet regardless of mash temp.

Back