Needing some help about a sudden drop in fermenting temp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigken462

Reaction score
I think I may have goofed once more. On the night of the 14th, I brewed up some Kolsch from a Brewers Best extract kit. Yeast was Nottingham Ale E491.

This thing was purring like a kitten sipping milk for the past 24 hours. Today the outside and house temps started to get a lil higher, but since I have another batch in secondary holding at a steady 68* I was not too worried, but then this new batch had climbed from 68* to about 74* with the fermenting going on and with the house warming I figured I would be needing to do something or it was only going to get worse. The other batch might have rose about 2* but not much.

Before leaving to go to work at 6PM tonight, I was torn on what to do and eventually decided to place it in a oversized pale for some swamp cooling. I have never done this before so I didn’t know where to start as far as how much ice to add. I placed about a gallon of ice cubes in there from the freezer and filled it up about a 1/3 of the way from the bottom with water. Just a bit over the spigot and left for work.

At work I found myself in a position that I needed to come home to change into a clean uniform and checked on the brew. It was still bubbling, but had slowed down drastically from before. Fearing the worst, I lifted the bucket from the pale and noticed the temps was down to about 56* at 1030PM.

How bad will this sudden temp drop hurt the yeast? I'm smacking myself on the head and having a WTH was I thinking moment.

Kenny T

Your yeast will be fine, and have just slowed down a bit due to the drop in temperature. Just let it warm back up to the mid-60s and try to maintain at that temp using frozen water bottles in your swamp cooler. Start with just a few, and closely monitor the temp. When they thaw, have replacements ready to add and re-freeze the the thawed ones and maintain this cycle. Before long, you will know how many frozen bottles you require daily to maintain the ideal fermentation temp. Cheers!

The drop in temperature will slow the yeast down for a while. May even need to be roused in a few days. Were you using a thermostrip on your fermentor? Was it under water? If it was the wort may not have been as low in temperature as yuo thought.

56 won't hurt Nottingham. You can use that strain down as low as 55. However, any yeast that sees a sudden drop of 15-20 degrees may decide to stop eating and go to sleep.

I'm as much concerned for you about letting a Nottingham ferment get up to 74*F. That yeast starts kicking off some off flavors at 68 and only gets worse the warmer it gets.

Yes, the strip was under water. I tried to hang around as long as I could to see if it was raise up some. It did climb just a lil.

I think the temp range on the instructions showed 64-72 range. Grrr, I was actually kinda glad it was maintaining what I thought was a happy temp at 68*. I knew it was going to increase a lil from the activity, but I didn't expect it to raise that much.

My next home project will be a fermenting chamber. This is the second batch in a row I've struggled to maintain a safe range.

This trial by error stuff is getting expensive. lol

My next home project will be a fermenting chamber. This is the second batch in a row I've struggled to maintain a safe range.

This trial by error stuff is getting expensive. lol

Just snag a decent used fridge/freezer from Craigslist, add an outlet box with STC-1000 ($20 on Amazon) and you're set. It will be the best $100 you've ever spent on brew gear.

Plus, you can stop wasting any more costly ingredients.

Back