Needing...no, wanting...no, needing a keggle!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I'm at that point...I've brewed enough (for me) extract batches that I'm ready to move up to all-grain. I, like most, am a DIYer and want my hear to reflect that. I NEED a keggle!

I have contemplated purchasing a relatively cheap 8, 10 or 16 gallon kettle with ball valve and thermometer, etc. but think I've decided to try my hand at converting a keg. I feel it will be more useful, longer.

That said...can someone point me in the right direction? What kinds of places should I look? I am in the Kansas City metro (just in case one of you lives here and knows exactly) on the Kansas side. Please help...thanks all!

Step 1: Find a keg. You can buy one for about $100 or get one from the "black market" (aka craigs list) for about $30. The deposit you put down when you get a keg from the beer store doesn't cover the cost of the keg, it's still owned by the brewery. Find one from AB and you'll still be able to sleep at night, get one from a hard working craft brewery and the beer gods will be pissed and every bath will be infected with the devils spawn.

Step 2: Cut a big hole in the top. A 4.5" angle grinder works but a plasma cutter works better. Find a lid, make the hole fit the lid.

Step 3: Drill a hole. A hole saw works, a step drill works better.

Step 4: Install valve. Weldless valves work but welding a bung in works better.

Oh, and you'll need at least two, probably three of em, unless you do the cooler trick. I use one for my mash tun.

I love my keggle. Some one was moving out of state and selling his whole kit. I jumped on it. 3 tier with keggle. It's great for 5 or 10 gallon batches.
While I didn't fab it myself, I still love it. You'll love yours even more.

I've brewed with keggles and I've brewed with kettles.

I'll take the kettles, every time. Far easier to work with, much easier to clean.

If you want to DIY, get a bare kettle and outfit it as needed. That's what I do.

Pros and Cons: Kegs are usually cheaper and can be found on Craiglists. Can easily do 10 - 12 gallons of beer at one time. They are not that difficult to make into a keggle. You will want the top cut- 12" is usually the standard. They are more difficult to clean. I actually clean mine on the stand. This way I do not need to lift it, especially with water in it, then run it through my pump with some StarSan and I am good to go.

Most of it will depend on your budget and what you are willing to spend. I was able to get the two kegs for $40 bucks from another brewer. I did use a step bit to make the holes in my keg as they make a cleaner hole that does not need to be deburred. I lucked into a friend that had a plasma cutter to do the top of my kegs. If you are a big DIYer then this is a fairly easy project to do and will definitely save you some money. I bought all of my fittings from bargain fittings. Wayne was real helpful if you need some advice.

Do kettles clean themselves? Because cleaning my keggle takes about zero effort. There really isn't that much difference between the shape of a kettle and keggle.

If you are a DYI kinda guy can you weld? I took some 1.5" X 1.5" steel tube and built a stand that the keggle can sit on upside down and gave it legs that are about 10" long, I then welded steel pipe up the center with a hose nozzle attachment screwed onto it. Obviously I attach my hose to the other end of the pipe, I use a quick connect that has a ball valve so I can shut off the flow. cleaning of my mash tun literally involves rinsing off the outside of the keggle, flipping it upside down, turning the hose on and having a few sips of beer while it gets clean. Boil kettle is a little more involved as I need to lightly wipe the crud off that forms a ring on the top, takes about 12 seconds longer. I'll try to remember to get a pic tonight.

I've brewed with keggles and I've brewed with kettles.

I'll take the kettles, every time. Far easier to work with, much easier to clean.

If you want to DIY, get a bare kettle and outfit it as needed. That's what I do.

+1 on this. My brewpot currently is an e-Keggle I built for my e-setup as I was using it with when I was still using propane. I am probably going to be looking to swap it out for a larger regular kettle next year..The keggle is cool and all, but I am just looking to get something a bit more easier to outfit, lift and move, as well as clean and a kettle fits that bill more than a keggle does based on brewing well over 1000 gallons through my keggle.

Only problem with my keggle is I tend to cut my hand on the top lip when cleaning...though I never seem to notice till later....and the lip isn't sharp LOL.

I BAIB and it works fine, a kettle would be better though. I plan to keep my keggle for 5g batched and get as20G Spike for 10G batches

Only problem with my keggle is I tend to cut my hand on the top lip when cleaning...though I never seem to notice till later....and the lip isn't sharp LOL.

I BAIB and it works fine, a kettle would be better though. I plan to keep my keggle for 5g batched and get as20G Spike for 10G batches

I used a dremel tool to deburr the edges on the opening and some regular old sandpaper to smooth it over. It was pretty easy - please do this before you cut yourself again!

Thanks for all the input. Just found one for $50. He also just told me it still has skunky beer in it. Is that going to be a problem?

It will be if you don't empty it, and remember it is under a lot of pressure. When I did mine, I took it out back, put it on it's side facing away from me so I didn't spray nasty skunk beer in my face, and used a large crescent wrench to depress the ball. It's spring loaded and under a bunch of pressure, so start small. Search the forums for removing the spear (after relieving the pressure!!!) if you like. If you have a miller keg this will be a lot harder. Mine is a miller, so I just relieved the pressure then cut the top off with the spear in it.

Google "making a keggle" and you will see several helpful YouTube videos.

You may be surprised how unskunky the beer really is. I got one form a guy who had a half full keg sitting in a barn for god only knows how many years. After that it sat in my garage for a few more. When I drained it the beer still smelt like it would out of a bottle. Didn't try to drink it though. This one was dispensed by CO2, if yours had a party pump it might be ugly.

Easiest way to remove the beer is to get a tap and drain it into a bucket. Once it's empty and the pressure is gone it's a lot easier to work with.

Once it's empty and the top is cut off (and deburred so you don't cut yourself) get some bar keepers friend and scrub the **** (pun intended) out of it.

Unless you bought the keg new, it's probably technically stolen.

You can't talk about distilling on this forum, but talking about, admitting to, and encouraging theft is ok.

Back