Needed to boil a bit longer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fesser

Reaction score
Hey,

I brewed today a guinness clone, which recipe called fot a 60 min boil and hop addition at 60' and 15'. I dit that, but after the 60' I noticed that I needed to reduce the wort a bit more to hit the volume (6 gallon), so I took apart the hop bags and continued boiling for 20 more minutes. Will this affect the flavours or anything anyhow?

Thanks and have a wonderful week you all!

Sent from my LT15i using Home Brew mobile app

In the future you might want to check the volume first, and adjust your aroma hop addition accordingly. The extra long boil will rob you of some aroma, but I bet it will still taste great. Plus stout has a lot going on flavour/aroma wise, so it can be quite forgiving.

I chcked the volume first, but i boiled with lid on the first 20 minutes because i was afraid of losing too much. Now I know the I need lid off since the beginning. Anyway, if it will only affect aroma, I dont think it will be such a big problem, since there are a lot of recipes calling for 90 min boils...

Thanks!

Also, you want the lid off for the duration of the boil to get rid of DMS. Don't be afraid of boiling too much off, you can just throw some more water in for the last few minutes to sanitize it and you are good to go.

Ok. Thanks a lot for answering but...dont you think boiling 60 min with lid off would be enough to get rid of DMS?

Sent from my LT15i using Home Brew mobile app

I am not an expert, but what I read seems to be trending towards 90 minutes, certainly with lagers. Some people still do 90 with ales, but it seems that more and more people are doing 90 with everything. I just switched to 90, I will let you know how it turns out.

Back