Need your ideas/thoughts on this Pumpkin Ale recipe:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwmclelland15

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the forums and only a few batches into home brewing. My kit I have allows me to do full 5.25gal boils and cool them. I have only done extract so far and plan to until I settle into a new house later next year.

Anyways! I am preparing for this fall season to have a pumpkin ale on the go and ready to drink. I have somewhat configured it by looking at various recipes and using BeerSmith 2 to help me out.

Below is the ingredients and instructions as well as a few pictures of it all entered in BeerSmith.

Any ideas or tips are much appreciated!

Ingredients
6 lbs. (2.7 kg) light malt extract
1 lbs. (0.45 kg) brown sugar
3-4 16-oz. (448-g) cans of pumpkin
1 lb. (0.45 kg) crystal malt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon allspice
4 teaspoons cinnamon
1 oz. (28 g) fresh grated ginger root
1/4 tsp. amylase enzyme
Germany - Hallertau Hop Pellets (60 mins)
(1 oz./28 g of 4.8% alpha acids)
5 AAU Cascade hops (5 mins)
(0.75 oz./21 g of 6.4% alpha acids)
1 teaspoon Irish moss (15 minutes)
Safale - US-05 Dry yeast
3/4 cup dextrose for priming

Steps
1. Bake 3-4 cans of pure pumpkin at 350F for 1 hour (until top is golden)

2. Mix the 3-4 cans of baked pumpkin, crystal malt, amylase and brown sugar into 2 gallons (7.6 kg) of water and add amylase.

2. Bring the mixture to 155 °F (68 °C) and let stand for 35 minutes.

3. Bring heat up to 170 °F (77 °C), turn off and allow to settle for 45 minutes.

4. Strain the liquid into the brew pot, leaving as much of the pumpkin pulp behind as practical.

5. Add 1 gallon (3.8 L) of water, bittering hops (Hallertau) and malt extract and boil for 60 minutes.

6. Add Irish moss during the last 15 minutes of boil.

7. Add finishing hops (Cascade) and all of the spices (cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg, allspice, ginger root) during the last 5 minutes of boil.

8. Add water to make 5 gallons (19 L), pitch yeast at appropriate temperature. Ferment for approximately 10 days at 66–70 °F (19–21 °C).

9. Prime with dextrose for bottling or force carbonate in the keg. Enjoy!

Screenshots of BeerSmith:
- https://gyazo.com/9a28c15956455b21f5532b5825696cbb

Thanks,
Mark

I've made a couple of Pumpkin Ales, your recipe seems about right. My only concern is about the spices, you have several tablespoons total where I would use several teaspoons. Check the pumpkin recipes in the HBT recipe section and see if you are in line. While I do prefer lightly spiced beer, I also think it is safer to under-spice than over.

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. So between the nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla, and all spice I have 6.5 teaspoons. Do you think that's too much? I have researched a bit and I have read plenty of articles saying do not over spice, but I have also read a few where people would triple their original recipe spices. Kind of on the fence about it.

I've made a couple of Pumpkin Ales, your recipe seems about right. My only concern is about the spices, you have several tablespoons total where I would use several teaspoons. Check the pumpkin recipes in the HBT recipe section and see if you are in line. While I do prefer lightly spiced beer, I also think it is safer to under-spice than over.

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. So between the nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla, and all spice I have 6.5 teaspoons. Do you think that's too much? I have researched a bit and I have read plenty of articles saying do not over spice, but I have also read a few where people would triple their original recipe spices. Kind of on the fence about it.

I would consider the ginger as spice too. It depends on your own taste, and your packaging method. If you keg, you can always add more in the keg. Bottles are hard to adjust. Even after 3-1/2 years of brewing I am still cautious with my recipes. My concern is that you might find it too spicy in the fall. You could do a sort of test by a short boil using only a gallon of water and 1/5 of your spices. If that doesn't taste super spicy, go with it. But it is your beer, your taste and choice. Let me know what you decide.

I would consider the ginger as spice too. It depends on your own taste, and your packaging method. If you keg, you can always add more in the keg. Bottles are hard to adjust. Even after 3-1/2 years of brewing I am still cautious with my recipes. My concern is that you might find it too spicy in the fall. You could do a sort of test by a short boil using only a gallon of water and 1/5 of your spices. If that doesn't taste super spicy, go with it. But it is your beer, your taste and choice. Let me know what you decide.

Thanks John,

I'll definitely take that into consideration. I will also do a bit more research and messing around with it.

Again thanks for your help!

I use 1 tsp of spice at the end of the boil and then 1 tsp spice in the fermenter after fermentation is mostly done.

Do you add it to secondary or primary? All of my current brews have been 14-21 days only in the primary as I feel the risks out weigh the results for a secondary fermentation.

Enkamania's method offers an option: Add a modest amount of spice to the boil, then taste the beer after it ferments. If it needs more spice, you can add it then.

Enkamania's method offers an option: Add a modest amount of spice to the boil, then taste the beer after it ferments. If it needs more spice, you can add it then.

And that's exactly how I came up with it. The recipe called for boil only and I found I wanted more spice. For me, the level worked best after fermentation.

And that's exactly how I came up with it. The recipe called for boil only and I found I wanted more spice. For me, the level worked best after fermentation.

I think I am going to steep/mash for this first time; however, I will adjust the spices down slightly. Say I did it the way I plan to, and I taste it but it isn't to my liking could I also add some spices during primary fermentation?

You can. But when you taste the unfermented wort, it will be full of sugars that will later ferment out. That may balance the spice. I think you get a better idea of the final flavor by tasting after it ferments. You can sanitize spices added to the fermenter or bottling bucket by a quick boil, or by steeping in vodka.

You can. But when you taste the unfermented wort, it will be full of sugars that will later ferment out. That may balance the spice. I think you get a better idea of the final flavor by tasting after it ferments. You can sanitize spices added to the fermenter or bottling bucket by a quick boil, or by steeping in vodka.

Thanks John. So other than the spice amount the recipe should hold up well?

Pumpkin ales are all about the spice. As such, I'd choose a clean-bittering hop like Cluster at 60 minutes and aim for balancing the sweetness. The level of spice is also a matter of personal taste. Northern Brewer has an awesome kit. You can compare your recipe to theirs for guidance:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/SmashingPumpkinEX.pdf

Their kit comes with a 1 teaspoon sized pack of premixed pumpkin pie spice, added at the end of the boil. That amount may or may not suit your taste. One option is to supplement this amount by making a spice tincture. Mix your favorite pumpkin pies spices in a jar, fill it with 1/2 - 1 cup of vodka, cover the jar and then allow it to steep between brew day and bottling day. On bottling day take a tasting of your finished beer. If it isn't spicy enough add some of the tincture (just the liquid portion) and taste it again. Two things to remember are that a little goes a long way, and you can always add spice but cannot subtract spice. I'd start by adding teaspoon amounts.

Some people like the focus on the beer, with the spice as a compliment to the malt. Others like "Pumpkin Pie in a Glass", complete with pumpkin and whipped cream. This is how I made my last pumpkin ale. I made the NB all grain version of their kit and started by ditching the spice mix that comes with the kit because I vehemently hate the taste of nutmeg. I instead mixed 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon with 1/4 tsp each of ground cloves and ground ginger, which I added to the wort at flameout. I added an equal amount to 1/2 cup of vodka and allowed it to steep until bottling. Because I did the all grain version I added 45 oz of canned pumpkin to the mash. Some extract brewers add it to the boil; others do a partial mash with 2 - 3 lbs of 2-row added in with the specialty grains in about 2 gallons of their brewing water, and then mashed for one hour at 152 F. I also added 1 pound of lactose at bottling by adding to the water used to dissolve my priming sugar. It turned out fantastic!

Pumpkin ales are all about the spice. As such, I'd choose a clean-bittering hop like Cluster at 60 minutes and aim for balancing the sweetness. The level of spice is also a matter of personal taste. Northern Brewer has an awesome kit. You can compare your recipe to theirs for guidance:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/SmashingPumpkinEX.pdf

Their kit comes with a 1 teaspoon sized pack of premixed pumpkin pie spice, added at the end of the boil. That amount may or may not suit your taste. One option is to supplement this amount by making a spice tincture. Mix your favorite pumpkin pies spices in a jar, fill it with 1/2 - 1 cup of vodka, cover the jar and then allow it to steep between brew day and bottling day. On bottling day take a tasting of your finished beer. If it isn't spicy enough add some of the tincture (just the liquid portion) and taste it again. Two things to remember are that a little goes a long way, and you can always add spice but cannot subtract spice. I'd start by adding teaspoon amounts.

Some people like the focus on the beer, with the spice as a compliment to the malt. Others like "Pumpkin Pie in a Glass", complete with pumpkin and whipped cream. This is how I made my last pumpkin ale. I made the NB all grain version of their kit and started by ditching the spice mix that comes with the kit because I vehemently hate the taste of nutmeg. I instead mixed 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon with 1/4 tsp each of ground cloves and ground ginger, which I added to the wort at flameout. I added an equal amount to 1/2 cup of vodka and allowed it to steep until bottling. Because I did the all grain version I added 45 oz of canned pumpkin to the mash. Some extract brewers add it to the boil; others do a partial mash with 2 - 3 lbs of 2-row added in with the specialty grains in about 2 gallons of their brewing water, and then mashed for one hour at 152 F. I also added 1 pound of lactose at bottling by adding to the water used to dissolve my priming sugar. It turned out fantastic!

Excellent information here. Thank you very much for putting all the time in to write this post. Once I get home later tomorrow I will go look over the NB recipe. Thanks again!

It looks like a good recipe. I think you are doing the smart thing to research and study before brewing. You'll end up with a great beer.

Thanks for your help John! Now it's time to find some cheap prices online to order this stuff from as the LHBS carries very little for beer.

Alright everyone! Hopefully this is the last edit I make however I wanted to run it by you all that have been helping me. There are a few changes that you can see below:
- dropped the finishing hops and am only using Hallertau GER at 60 mins (however do have some cascade I may add if I feel)
- decided on adding an additional 3 gal (instead of 1 gal) to the 2 gal mash to ensure I have 5ish gal at boil
- because I did that I also made note to top up the fermentor to achieve the 5 gal after boil (or should I add 3.5-4 gal pre boil where I now have 3 gal to ensure I don't need to top up?)
- I'm going to keep my spice additions for now and I will learn by doing. This beer will be sitting in the bottle for about 2.5 - 3 months before being drank
- lowered the ginger and will more likely add only 0.5 oz
- may cover the baking pumpkin thinly with maple syrup

Thats basically all I changed that I notice. My biggest concern is the topping up of water. I have a 8 gal kettle so there is no issue there I just don't know how much I will boil off or if topping off is the better option here (maybe to ensure the extract/other doesn't boil off I don't know!)
Anyways the adjusted recipe can be seen below, thank you all once again in advance!

Fat Bumpkin Pumpkin Ale
(5 gallons/19 L, extract with grains)

Courtesy of The Market Basket Brookfield, Wisconsin

Ingredients
6 lbs. (2.7 kg) Gold (light) LME (boil)
1 lbs. (0.45 kg) brown sugar (light) (mash)
3-4 lbs. (1.36-1.81 kg) canned pumpkin (baked 1 hr @350F) (mash)
1 lb. (0.45 kg) caramel/crystal malt (mash)
0.5 tsp + 1 tsp vanilla (boil 60 min and 5 min respectively)
0.5 tsp +1 tsp nutmeg (boil 60min and 5min respectively)
1 tsp + 2 tsp cinnamon (boil 60min and 5min respectively)
1 tsp allspice (boil 5 min)
0.5-0.75 oz. (14-21 g) grated ginger root (boil 5 min)
1/4 tsp. amylase enzyme (mash)
1 oz. Germany - Hallertau Hop Pellets (boil 60 mins)
(1 oz./28 g of 4.8% alpha acids)
1 tsp Irish moss (boil 15 minutes)
1 pkg Safale - US-05 Dry yeast (fermentation)
3/4 cup dextrose for priming (bottling)

Step by Step
1. Bake canned pumpkin at 350F for 1 hour (1" thick - until top is golden) (OPTIONAL - cover with maple syrup)

2. Mix the baked pumpkin, caramel crystal malt, and brown sugar into 2 gallons of water and add amylase.

3. Bring the mixture to 155 °F (68 °C) and let stand for 35 minutes.

4. Bring heat up to 170 °F (77 °C), turn off and allow to settle for 45 minutes.

5. Strain the liquid into the brew pot, leaving as much of the pumpkin pulp behind as practical.

6. Add 3 gallons of water and bring to boil, add bittering hops (Hallertau) and malt extract at the start of the 60 minute boil followed by the spices (cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg).

7. Add Irish moss during the last 15 minutes of boil.

8. Add finishing hops (Cascade) and all of the spices (cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg, allspice, ginger root) during the last 5 minutes of boil.

9. Transfer to primary and top up water to make 5 gallons, pitch yeast at appropriate temperature. Ferment for 21 days at 66–70 °F (19–21 °C).

10. Prime with 3/4 cup dextrose for bottling and age.

EDIT: removed All-Spice from the recipe

342d9d21686df6aca7e43da86f4b936b.png

What is the advantage of baking the canned pumpkin? What would adding maple syrup do? Will that completely ferment out, will that add to the taste or increase ABV? Looking to try a pumpkin ale recipe kit from my LHBS. Thanks.

For my last years' Pumpkin Ale, I added liquid graham cracker extract. That stuff is awesome. I'm thinking about using it for a S'more Stout this year.

For my last years' Pumpkin Ale, I added liquid graham cracker extract. That stuff is awesome. I'm thinking about using it for a S'more Stout this year.

That sounds amazing. How much did you add? I have a Christmas Spiced Ale recipe all made up and I may just have to add that!

Well everything seemed to go well. I usually just throw my US-05 right on top of the wort however for this brew I re-hydrated it. I seemed to do that fine (first time re-hydrating). My estimated OG was 1.057 and I got 1.055. So pretty close to what I was aiming. Smelt amazing during the boil and the wort tasted even better. So far so good. 16 hours into fermentation I got it sitting at 67*F and airlock is moving. Not as vigorously as my previous three brews but it's moving not bad. Just hope I got the re-hydrated yeast properly in there.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

View attachment 1470580676222.jpg

View attachment 1470580686830.jpg

View attachment 1470580694081.jpg

That sounds amazing. How much did you add? I have a Christmas Spiced Ale recipe all made up and I may just have to add that!

Looks like my flavoring profile for 5G was as follows:

Graham Cracker Extract (QTY 40 drops) - Secondary 1.0 week
Vanilla Beans Seeded (QTY 3 beans) - Secondary 1.0 week
1.00 tsp Blend of 1 tsp Cinnamon, 1/4 tsp Nutmeg, 1/4 tsp Ginger, 1/8 tsp Allspice - Secondary 1.0 week

I remember it being well balanced and not overpowering but to each his own...

I'm digging the pumpkin ale conversation. I'm brewing my annual variation today. If I didn't my wife would probably make me move out! ;) I add 3 TSP of spice to a 5.5 gallon batch. 1.5 Cinnamon, 1 Nutmeg, 0.5 Allspice, and 0.5 Ginger. I add it 10min, and find it to be perfect for our preference, you can definitely taste the spices, but it's not overpowering at all. Some say it's a perfect balance, others say they would like more spice. To each his own. I also roast the pumpkin with maple syrup and add it to the boil. The vanilla has me intrigued.....

Cheers :mug:

This may sound dumb but do you spray the pan before roasting the pumpkin so it won't stick?

This may sound dumb but do you spray the pan before roasting the pumpkin so it won't stick?

No spray, parchment paper! works great. Last fall I had some excess sugar pumpkins from the garden and froze several pounds of the flesh, that's what I used in the beer this year. :mug:

Looks like my flavoring profile for 5G was as follows:

Graham Cracker Extract (QTY 40 drops) - Secondary 1.0 week
Vanilla Beans Seeded (QTY 3 beans) - Secondary 1.0 week
1.00 tsp Blend of 1 tsp Cinnamon, 1/4 tsp Nutmeg, 1/4 tsp Ginger, 1/8 tsp Allspice - Secondary 1.0 week

I remember it being well balanced and not overpowering but to each his own...

I will maybe try all that for my Winter Ale. Thanks for the reply!

Back