Need to move from Spike 20 g to 5 gallon - kitchen.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadjobrinus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Friends are thirsty. I love brewing, just can't drink the stuff anymore. Really miss the sensory pleasure of crafting fine ales, and giving it to people I care about a good deal. 5 gallon system, in kitchen - from years ago, have no issue with manual vorlauf, etc. Meticulous, taking pride into dialing in OG, etc.

I have the 20 gallons spike vessels and a 1-tier, pump driven rig. Holding on for now. Recommended systems for 5 gallons, indoors?

I can really recommend using an Induction plate.
Single vessel with converted cooler mash tun.
Make sure the kettle is induction capable. A magnet that sticks to the bottom and sides is 100%. Some that don't stick may, but need to test.

My system:
8 gallon Heavy Duty Tri-ply Morebeer kettle. Get a 10 gallon one instead!
Avantco IC3500. 240V 20A circuit needed.
I put a box fan in the window above the plate/kettle for ventilation.
March pump and Duda plate chiller with pre-chiller. You may want to use a Counterflow instead, easier maintenance.

Thanks, man. I'd not even thought of the induction idea, unfortunately we don't have 240 feed. I have everything for the 20 gallon, 1-tier Spike propane, maybe I'll just get a couple 10 gallons from spike, a false bottom, and use my existing 20g HLT for sparge. They list their 10 gallon vessels as giving 2.5-6 gallon brewlengths.

They list the 20 gallons giving 6-15 gallons of wort. Sure wish I could make my existing system work, just too shallow a mash bed for the shorter brewlengths.

I will say this - it doesn't matter how much ventilation I get, even outside, totally open air - but I get massive migraines from brewing and I have to think it's the damn CO from the propane. My son has brewed one full brew with me once last summer, and he experienced the same thing. I don't want him to go through that and with me it's actually pretty debilitating - break out in a massive sweat, pounding migraine, etc. Sucks.

So would love to make a kitchen stovetop system work. I'm guessing 7 gallons of wort or so boiling down isn't likely on the avg. stove.

So would love to make a kitchen stovetop system work. I'm guessing 7 gallons of wort or so boiling down isn't likely on the avg. stove.
It depends largely on your stove. Using a stove can also complicate things, such as ventilation, and space under the hood. Many hoods also don't vent to the outside anymore.

When we bought our glass top stove I thought the double and especially the super large/wide triple element will be great for brewing... It took a long time to bring 7 gallons of wort to a boil, and attaining a boil was about impossible unless I kept the lid on part ways. These elements are temp controlled, you can't put them on full blast manually.

But the sheer weight of that full 8 gallon kettle, even with a super flat tri-ply bottom was right-out scary. Besides, could a chance grain of sand or stone between the bottom and glass conceivably crack it, due to 3 tons of pressure per sq. inch it exerts?

That's where the induction plate came in. It took me only a few hours to run the 240V circuit to the counter in the kitchen.
And that induction plate gets a lot more use than just for brewing. It lives on the counter, almost permanently.

Thanks Island. Yeah, you're right. I regularly make stock in large amounts, but that's a mere bubble every now and then, and it does take forever to get to even that. When I make demi-glace from veal stock (reduction method, no roux), it's a 1:20 reduction and that does take forever, though I can get there.

We rent so 240 is out, unfortunately. That induction was a perfect solution, congrats. Oh, one thing I did want to ask about, the specs say can handle up to 10.25" max - "smaller stock pots", and 65 lbs suggested max weight. The kettle alone is close to 20 lbs, (just took a quick one off morebeer) and that doesn't leave you much wort, what, 5 gallons?

So, just asking if you have ever had any worries about this, or it's been fine?

In the past I've thought of a dedicated stock pot range, but that's impossible at this time. You're totally right about worries of something that heavy (and tall - it's no rondeau) on top of a regular range.

Sounding like the best choice may be to just use my existing stand, which at least is good to go for easy transferring and cooling, etc.

5 gallon brewing is the common brewlength. RDWHAH and all that. I feel like I must be missing something...

I make larger quantities of chicken stock (mostly). 8-12 hours on the induction plate. Switch to temp/hold settings, once boiling, setting it to "170F" is perfect to keep that slight simmer. I use a spare, cheap 8 gallon brew pot for stocks. Wrapped with a few towels for insulation while on the induction plate. It generates very little heat outside the heating circle, unlike a resistance coil.

The kettles can overhang the 10" "induction circle" by several inches, on any side, without problems.
I've never had any problems with wider kettles, being it my usual 14" wide 8 gallon or my 17" wide 15 gallon kettle.

Weight is no problem either, the stainless base is plenty sturdy. The glass top is recessed and flat/even with the top of the bezel.
For "double size" batches, 14 gallon full volume boils are no issue, except it takes twice as long to get it to boil and chill. ;)

I actually have 2 of those plates and sometimes use them both, a kettle on each.
I also do step mashes and decoctions, using direct induction heat with good stirring. Tri-ply bottoms are good and efficient heat spreaders.

If you have a 240V dryer outlet or so, you can make (or buy) an extension cord. Or tap from 2 separate 120V/20A (kitchen) circuits on opposite sides of the panel. Unless you intend to flood the bases, there's no need for GFCI; the built-in ground from the receptacle connection is fine.

Hey Gad ! , have you thought about purchasing an electric unit like m&b, robobrew or Grainfather ect....?Depending on your budget there are a variety of options. You could possibly sell your set up to alleviate the cost.

Thanks Island. Yeah, you're right. I regularly make stock in large amounts, but that's a mere bubble every now and then, and it does take forever to get to even that. When I make demi-glace from veal stock (reduction method, no roux), it's a 1:20 reduction and that does take forever, though I can get there.

We rent so 240 is out, unfortunately. That induction was a perfect solution, congrats. Oh, one thing I did want to ask about, the specs say can handle up to 10.25" max - "smaller stock pots", and 65 lbs suggested max weight. The kettle alone is close to 20 lbs, (just took a quick one off morebeer) and that doesn't leave you much wort, what, 5 gallons?

So, just asking if you have ever had any worries about this, or it's been fine?

In the past I've thought of a dedicated stock pot range, but that's impossible at this time. You're totally right about worries of something that heavy (and tall - it's no rondeau) on top of a regular range.

Sounding like the best choice may be to just use my existing stand, which at least is good to go for easy transferring and cooling, etc.

5 gallon brewing is the common brewlength. RDWHAH and all that. I feel like I must be missing something...

I have been using induction for my HLT and MT for the last 6 years, and I built a spring loaded shelf that houses the induction plate. Since the induction plate just needs to touch the bottom of the kettle, pretty much all of the weight of what's in the kettle is held up by the frame around the induction plate. I have a Spike 20 G MT and a 20 G BruGear kettle for my HLT and have had no issues with the weight of all of the grain & water in the kettles using this method. I don't think an Induction plate would withstand this much weight without the extra reinforcements.
induction.jpg
IMG_2244 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Back