Need to improve a kit or return it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CamG

Reaction score
I purchased a kit yesterday that I thought was a dry Ale
I now realize it's a low calorie / low carbohydrate lager. :rolleyes:

It uses s-23 yeast and I don't think I can maintain a low enough temp for it.
I also don't really want a diet beer ;)

My first thought was to see if I can exchange it.
Then I thought maybe I can experiment and learn from this.

So I am thinking of getting some S-05 yeast and dry hopping it.

I just don't know what and how much I should use for an extra fermentable.
DME, LME or simple sugar ?

some info I found on the web after I got home:

OG: 1.0360 - 1.0368, FG: 1.0020 - 1.0026, Yeast: Saflager S-23, IBU's: 9

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cam

I purchased a kit yesterday that I thought was a dry Ale I now realize it's a low calorie / low carbohydrate lager.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cam

If it were me I'd return it and get a kit that will make the kind of beer you wanted in the first place. My reasoning is the amount of time and energy it takes to make a batch and bring it to completion isn't something I would care to waste. I've had experiences where the beer wasn't good and had to dump it down the drain and that was disappointing enough. I don't want to spend my time playing "scientist" dabbling around with ingredients just to see what pops out.

Just my .02c worth. Good luck!

:mug:

What he said. ^

Return it, and get what you want. That kit looks really lame, no improvement possible.
Besides, what is that with those 4-digit gravities? There is no-one who can taste the difference between a 1.0020 and 1.0026. And final gravities with that kind of precision aren't up to us anyway. :drunk:

But why buy a kit? You can compound your own dry Ale from loose ingredients using one of the excellent recipes listed here. Probably better than any kit, as kits are built around compromises and marketing.

What he said. ^

But why buy a kit? You can compound your own dry Ale from loose ingredients using one of the excellent recipes listed here. Probably better than any kit, as kits are built around compromises and marketing.

Ok sounds like good advice. I will exchange it today

I agree kits are not the best way.
I am slowly building up the equipment to go all grain. Just waiting for the snow to melt. I hope to do my first AG early spring. I have a covered BBQ area that should work great.

The reason for the kits is because I just purchased a Kegging system with extra kegs and I am trying to fill them up quickly. I have found an easy kit that tastes great and I hate looking at empty kegs.

Thanks for the help.
Cam

Ok sounds like good advice. I will exchange it today

I agree kits are not the best way.
I am slowly building up the equipment to go all grain. Just waiting for the snow to melt. I hope to do my first AG early spring. I have a covered BBQ area that should work great.

The reason for the kits is because I just purchased a Kegging system with extra kegs and I am trying to fill them up quickly. I have found an easy kit that tastes great and I hate looking at empty kegs.

Thanks for the help.
Cam

You can buy loose ingredients for extract brews with a few steeping grains just as easy. I've only used one kit, my first brew, a Yellow Dog Pale Ale. It was a Pale Ale alright, but I found better recipes and with a few bags of light DME, some steeping grains, and hops I was brewing away to my heart's content. And so much better. ;)

You'll love AG, so as soon as the weather improves go for it! I understand the looks of empty kegs, it can be heart breaking.

Latest posts

Back