Need to find article.. Can someone help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthonyb15fd

Reaction score
OK, I know it is good to let your wort ferment for 3-4 weeks then bottle. I have been doing that since I started. My friend on the other hand bottles his after only 10 days and tells me "once it stops bubbling the yeast is done and you can bottle" He also tells me I am wasteing time by keeping it in the bucket for 3-4 weeks. Is there an article somewhere that I can print out and have him read so he stays off my back..?? Or are we both right..??

Let me know

Thx
AB

Let him do his thing and you do yours. Then compare. Whoever has the best beer wins. Nothing is carved in stone.

B

when i brewed my first batches, i used to rush the process like your friend does. guess what... i always ended up with a thick layer of yeast in the bottom of each bottle. yuck!

now, i always leave the beer in the primary for at least 4 weeks or longer if needed. now i end up with much less yeast in the bottle/keg. nice!

...and watching the air lock for bubbles means nothing. you have to use a hydrometer properly in order to know when fermentation is done. if your bucket/carboy cap has a leak then it may not bubble even though fermentation is still happening. likewise, if dissolved CO2 is escaping from the beer, then the airlock may continue to bubble slowly even though fermentation is complete.

Back