Need sweetener ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braid

Reaction score
I want to make a hard lemonade and am looking to find ideas to sweeten it after the fermentation.

I've used splenda in a raspberry beer and had to use a lot of it to get it some what sweet. I'm afraid of using too much and get a nast flavor like adding too much sweet-n-low to tea. Dunno if you can go overboard like that or not.

I've never used lactose before, so I don't know how much it really sweetens beer/wine.

Remember this'll be a lemonade, so it'll need quite a bit of sweetening to balance the tartness that is left when the existing sugar is fermented out. I'll also be bottling it so stopping the ferment is out of the question too.

Before you bottle, draw off a sample of known quantity and sweeten to taste with Splenda.(You're going to measure gravity anyway, right?) Extrapolate for the remaining amount and add to bottling bucket then rack the lemonade. Treat the Splenda just like bottling sugar, ie, boiling the water, cooling, etc.

Sounds like you want to carbonate? Priming sugar won't affect the sweetness in the amounts for the usual percent of CO2, so you can still use it in the Splenda mix. But if you're not going to stop fermentation like you say, so you can carbonate, then if you add something other than non-fermentable artificial sweeteners before you bottle, you'll get bottle bombs. Big bottle bombs. I think most people would force carbonate.

Thank you for he advice brew-skies. I totally unerstand the whole fermentable/non-fermentable thing. I've used the splenda before, I'm just trying to find out if there are any other non-fermentable sweetners out there that other people prefer. Being artificial, I'm worried that a lot of Splenda will give a not so pleasant flavor like adding too much sweet-n-low will.

If you're carbonating it, you could try lactose. I personally hate splenda, so wouldn't use it.

Since I like mine still (not carbonated), I just use sugar.

Be careful with Splenda; it contains some dextrose and other fermentables as filler, so you want to add it a while before you bottle to let those ferment out , then you'll be able to control the carb level precisely. Alternatively you can order pure sucralose (the main sweetener in Splenda) online.

That's what I'm looking for! New thoughts or products!!!! With that said, what in the world is C-10? Is it gonna make a bigger bottle bomb than C-4?

Sucralose, well i guess it would make sense to get that and not all the fillers. Thank you for the info on those fillers too.

Latest posts

Back