Need suggestions for a non-hefe wheat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My homebrew club has a monthly style competition with "wheat beers" coming up soon. I'm looking for suggestions for a wheat beer recipe other than hefeweizen or Belgian (not a fan). The only requirement is at least 40% wheat. I was thinking maybe something like a crisp summer pale ale with wheat. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Cheers!

I'm planning on doing a Pete's Summer Brew clone. It's 35% wheat. You could do something similar.

Oberon ain't bad for a wheat beer.

oberon.jpg

I had a american wheat. I belive it was about 40 percent wheat and 50 percent 2 row. I dont know the specialty but i do know it had Amarillo in there. Pretty nice.

Look up 3 Floyd's Gumball Head or Lagunitas' Little Sumpin Sumpin clone recipes. Both are good examples of American Wheat beers and very tasty!

I just made a cranberry wheat beer that was really good, and a non-hefe. Cranberries might make you think of Fall or Winter, but I would classify it as a really nice Spring/Summer beer, as well.

You can read about it here, if you are interested:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=616976

If you (or anyone else) would like the recipe, please feel free to shoot me a PM.

Hope this helps -

Ron

Easy fruity american-style berliner weiss:
half wheat, half pils, 1.035 (DME works great here), boil 5 minutes then chill. Add lactic acid to bring pH below 4.5, sour in kettle at room temp (up to 90F) with Goodbelly probiotic shot till it is reminiscent of a mildly tart lemonade. boil with noble hops to 5-7IBU. Ferment with Nottingham at about 65F. dry hop with .5oz/5gal each of mosaic and simcoe.

http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Wort_Souring#Souring_in_the_Boiler_.28Kettle_Sour.29

Grodziskie/Grätzer

very old, traditional Polish beer, brewed since the 15th century, it's 100% oak-smoked wheat beer, noble hopped. a rauchweisen, but nothing like a rauchbier, nothing like a hefeweisen

low-alcohol, highly carbonated. called "Polish Champagne"

Made a black berry wheat for my sisters wedding. Went over to well.
5# 2row 5# wheat .75 rice hulls
mash 151
60min 1 oz tettnang
0min 1oz belma
Ferment with 1010
After primary is done 3# black berrys.
Now all my family wants ny beer all the time.....

+1 for a Berliner Weisse.
Or go completely the opposite direction and do a dark, roasty weizenbock.

When I saw the title, I was all, "Saison!" But not everyone likes Belgian styles. I've done a blueberry wheat, and everyone liked it. I thought the flavor extract (I think it was "natural flavor," but that doesn't mean it comes from blueberries) tasted a little artificial.

Last year, I did 50/50 wheat and pilsner extract batch with Meridian hops at 60/30/0 minutes, and a grapefruit (peeled, tore up the rind, chopped up the pulp) thrown in at the end. That was really good - didn't taste like a fruit beer or a shandy, just a hint of something different.

I did that to make it easy for myself, but if you're doing grain, just make it 50/50 wheat and pilsner. Wheat extract is like 60/40 wheat/barley, so that's more like 30% wheat. I will probably do that again this year. I might try it with some other fruit, like tangerine just to mix it up.

brett c or vrai. make a big starter though if you do 5gal batches. mash low for a super clean crisp finish. tropical hops of your choosing. give it at least 3 weeks if not a month. keep it warm.

Back