Need something clean and fruity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericd

Reaction score
I'm looking for a yeast that's like WLP001, but with more pronounced fruity notes. Suggestions?

I'm sure someone will chime in with some british ale yeasts, but for a more out-there recommendation, try Wyeast 2112. It's the steam beer (Cali lager) yeast but I use it like an ale. Ferment it towards the higher end, say ferm temp of 68F (that's the room temp, not the wort). It flocs clean and ferments well, and I find it has a clean taste that really emphasizes any fruity or citrusy flavors in the hops. It has become one of my go-to yeasts for pale ales and IPA's with citrus/fruit hops. It will provide more fruity notes than S-05/WLP001/Wy1056. My disclaimer here is that I do not use White Labs yeast due to availability locally but I am going off of the common knowledge that these three are all derived from the Chico strain.

Another idea might be S-04. I've used it most recently with a partial mash cider (Mike's Caramel Apple with a few changes) and with a blonde that I split into 2 secondaries (1/2 on strawberries for SWMBO and 1/2 dry hopped) and it works just as you described. Clean, flocs well, and definitely introduces fruity notes.

I like both Ringwood and Wlp002. Before I bailed on the brewing industry, I brewed at a major regional brewery where we used the Ringwood strain at lower temps (63 deg). Both the 1187 and Wlp002/wy1968 can produce clean beers with a hint of esters when fermented on the cooler side. However, they show their true estery selves when you get into the 67-70 deg range.

Back