Need Some Recipe Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KCBigDog

Reaction score
Sorry for posting here, but i've done multiple searches and haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm fairly new, and have brewed 5 batches of beer (5 Gallon), two of which are still fermenting in my fermentation room. I've also done 2 small batches of Apfelwein and 2 small batches of mead.

I would like to make a Braggot, but can't seem to find a recipe. I think a simple braggot would be best. Any suggestions?

Also, I'm not sure what my next batch will be. I'm thinking about a Rye, or a Belgium strong. Any suggestions there would be greatly appreciated.

4 of my 5 batches have been AG, which has been good.

Thanks in advance.

Here is a great kiwi flavored braggot recipe:

• 6 lbs of Honey
  • 4lbs of Pale Malt (2row)
  • 1lb Munich Malt
  • 1lb Vienna Malt
  • 1lb of Honey Malt
  • Last 20 minutes add 3 ounces of Amarillo Hops
  • Last 10 minutes add Whirlfloc to boil
  • Safale-US 05
  • After primary fermentation slows down...add 1.5 pounds of Kiwi Puree

It's a nice braggot that balances the honey and malt...I have brewed this a few times and everyone seems to love it!

Here is a great kiwi flavored braggot recipe:

• 6 lbs of Honey
  • 4lbs of Pale Malt (2row)
  • 1lb Munich Malt
  • 1lb Vienna Malt
  • 1lb of Honey Malt
  • Last 20 minutes add 3 ounces of Amarillo Hops
  • Last 10 minutes add Whirlfloc to boil
  • Safale-US 05
  • After primary fermentation slows down...add 1.5 pounds of Kiwi Puree

It's a nice braggot that balances the honey and malt...I have brewed this a few times and everyone seems to love it!

Thanks for this. Can you clarify when the Honey goes in? I assume flameout?

Also, I expect it would be good without the Kiwi?

Thanks for this. Can you clarify when the Honey goes in? I assume flameout?

Also, I expect it would be good without the Kiwi?

You are correct, honey goes in at flameout...in regards to the kiwi, you could skip it but it does balance the flavors...but experiment with it and make it your own!!!

You are correct, honey goes in at flameout...in regards to the kiwi, you could skip it but it does balance the flavors...but experiment with it and make it your own!!!

Might be a dumb question, but do you prepare the kiwi yourself, or do you buy it in a can?

Also, do you bottle, keg, or both?

One more thing: How about fermentation. How long?

I would recommend buying fresh kiwi...wash them, peel them and chop them up...normally I would say puree them, but kiwi is so soft it will easily break down in chunks.

I keg/bottle...it just depends what I have open and the time of the year.

As for fermentation the last batch I brewed went for 4 weeks.

I'm thinking this will be my next brew, but can't decide to keep the kiwi or not.

Do you soak it in vodka before adding?

I'm thinking this will be my next brew, but can't decide to keep the kiwi or not.

Do you soak it in vodka before adding?

Since the kiwi's are covered with a skin, there is no need to soak them in vodka...should you opt not to go with kiwi and you think about another fruit, I would recommend using something kinda sweet and kinda tart...it just seems to go well with this recipe.

Good Luck with it, I know you will like it!

Brewed the Braggot last night used Salfale US05. I only had 5 pounds of honey, so I added 14 ounces of dark brown sugar. The hydro reading was 1.076 and the sample really tasted good comparable to other samples I have tried.

I've decided not to add any fruit, so it will be a straigt simple braggot, with the addition of some brown sugar. I'll let you know how it turns out, and thanks for the recipe!

Very Simple Braggot

6lbs Honey
6lbs Extra Light Dry Extract
Yeast Nutrient-Per Package instructions for 5 gallons
Yeast energizer-Per Package instructions for 5 gallons
Acid Blend-Per Package instructions for 5 gallons
Wine Yeast of Choice(i like Champagne yeast myself)
1Oz Hops of your Choice(Optional)

Back