Need Some Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheapspkrs111

Reaction score
I tasted the best beer in the world!!! It was a collaboration between the Chicago Beer society and Goose Island Brewery. I emailed one of the guys responsible and asked for the recipe. He was more than willing to part with it but it was made on such a large scale of all grain I need some help putting it into a partial mash recipe. I'm new to this and have only done extract so far. So i need to figure out amounts and the procedure. HELP!!!!!!
Here is what he gave me:

Hi Tim!

Well I can part with the specifics but not the beer, as it belongs to Goose Island. It was 40% wheat malt, 5% oats, about 2% black malt and I think maybe 5-10% Munich, the rest pils. Spice was orange peel and Chinese coriander, with very small amounts of star anise and Szechuan red flower pepper.

Glad you enjoyed it. See you around the beer scene.

There is quite a bit of information missing there. You have the PROPORTIONS of the grain bill, but that's it. No idea what the gravity and no information at all about hops or yeast.

Yeah. already did. no luck. The name of the beer was "a CBS collaboration wit beer". However, It did not taste like a wit. It was light and dark at the same time with a fruity and spicy taste. Like a light, spicy, fruity, guiness. I'm excited now. Thanks a lot.

That sounds a lot like some of their "Vinage Ales". They are almost all belgian strains so you can determine the yeast from that at least!

As for the hops, I would reccomend you get ready to experiment and keep the hops within the style guidelines until you nail down a recipe...sounds like a fun brewquest!

Who knows you might make something even better!

Back