need some opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew

Reaction score
i was going to bottle tuesday night and things went off the rails.......i cleaned my bottles like usual which involves running them tru the dishwasher on very high heat, saniclean and heat dry....3 hour process........since i could not bottle i pulled all the bottles and placed then upsidown in my holding case....i want to bottle today but the rewashing part is where i am jammed for time..............do you think i can just use the bottles as they are or is there too high of risk that they may have become dirty again

would like everyones thoughts

i was going to bottle tuesday night and things went off the rails.......i cleaned my bottles like usual which involves running them tru the dishwasher on very high heat, saniclean and heat dry....3 hour process........since i could not bottle i pulled all the bottles and placed then upsidown in my holding case....i want to bottle today but the rewashing part is where i am jammed for time..............do you think i can just use the bottles as they are or is there too high of risk that they may have become dirty again

would like everyones thoughts

If you could, I would say get some no-rinse, oxy based sanitizer and dunk your bottles in that. They're already clean you just need to do a quick sanitizing prior to bottling. I get some stuff called Eazy Clean and it's one TBS per gallon, I just fill up the bottling bucket and start dunking, works great.

Keep mind that there are two separate steps- cleaning and sanitizing. Clean bottles have no residue inside, and should look absolutely clean. I don't think a dishwasher can get bottles really clean, since water probably doesn't shoot up inside. I rinse my bottles well after drinking the beer, and keep them clean that way, so I don't ever have to scrub them. But if they are dirty inside, a quick soak in oxyclean and using a bottle brush will get them clean.

For sanitizing, on bottling day, I take the already cleaned bottles and squirt some no rinse sanitizer in them. I use star-san, mixed 1/4 ounce to 1.25 gallons of water, and just squirt some sanitizer in them and then turn them upside down to drain. (The top rack of the dishwasher is a good place to put them, if you don't have a bottle tree). Then, as soon as they are all sanitized, I start bottling.

My sanitizing of bottles on bottling day takes less than 10 minutes.

In your case, it sounds like your bottles are clean, and possibly sanitized. But I wouldn't trust a sanitizing run through the dishwasher on Tuesday to keep the bottles sanitized through today. Unless your holding case was sanitized, too. It might be ok, but I'd spent the 10 minutes on sanitizing them with a no-rinse sanitizer.

There is probably zero chance they are dirty. Plus, you will be filling them with alcohol in solution. Plus, you will be bottle priming, which means billions of yeast will be crowding out every single new organism for food.

However, you have put a lot of work into this beer so far, and if you are going to sit around for the next few weeks worried sick your bottles were contaminated, then re-sanitize them. This is why I like the oven method best, because once they go through they are sterilized until you are ready, even years later.

yopper that is a good idea......i spray them with sanstar and then let them dry on the bottom rack while i prepair the other items

thanks again guys

Back