Need some input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riddei

Reaction score
OK guys, wife is tired of the yellow sorghum beers. She wants something closer to a stout or a porter. I have some ingredients on hand that i think might get me close to what she is looking for. I just need a tad bit of advice on a few things.
I was thinking of notty yeast and uk fuggles and for the fermentables, a couple pounds of sorghum, some molasses, dk brown sugar. to help the finish, i have some hazelnut decaf coffee she loves, especially when it is mixed with chocolate. cocoa powder would go into secondary mixed with some cold steeped hzlnt coffee and grounds. Maltodextrin would go in at bottling to bring up volume. I'm trying to do this with things on hand or at the mart 3 mins from my house. I'll probably only do a gallon batch at first to get the flavor profile.
feel free to laugh at me and call me a goober.
cheers:mug:

I had good luck making a dark, stout-type beer with cooked sugar and cooked honey. Made it nice and black on the stove, and it didn't have quite the mineral type taste molasses does.

We did add some coffee to some of it at bottling time.

Well, there is 5.5 gallons of "porter" in my closet. It smells like cocoa, looks like dark hot chocolate and taste like unsweetened chocolate citrus. I think maybe 7 ozs of cocoa was a bit much, but we'll see. I'm going to give it another week or so in the better bottle before bottling. I also have a pale ale and a wheat fermenting in the closet as well. I have 2 more brews planned for glutinous beers and one recipe forming for another GF brew. I have 6 more # of sorghum that i need to use. I may make a 5g batch of a 1036 beer with it and introduce some lime juice. (My wife used to drink the corona with a couple limes I think she just liked the lime) and use s33 to ferment

Back