Need some helpful advice for my IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigHead33

Reaction score
Hi guys. I designed an IPA recipe which came out really well except for the body/mouth feel aspect. The head retention was really good though. Actually too good. The initial foam was out of control. This may be because I added too much conditioning sugar though.

Anyway, I had a trained beer judge try it and he agreed. I am assuming I need to add some carapils/dextrine to correct the mouthfeel, but i'm not sure how much given the recipe. I am not sure what percentage of the grain bill it should be. Here is my recipe for 10 gals, thanks for any help:

20 lbs Pale Ale
2.5 lbs Munich Malt 10L
1.5 lbs Crystal 10L
2. 0z Warrior 90 min
2.0 oz Simcoe 20 min
2.0 oz Chinook 10 min
2.0 oz Cascade 5 min
1.0 oz Cascade 0 min
1.0 oz Chinook 0 min
1.0 oz Simcoe 0 min
2.0 oz Chinook dry hop
2.0 oz Simcoe dry hop
Yeast WLP001
Mash for 60 mins at 152 degrees

Looks like a good beer. I have had the same problem in the past (still do sometimes as well) you make a great beer, but the body isn't there. Adding some Carapills would help and/or you could up the mash temp a bit 154. It would make a sweeter beer, but the hops should drown the extra sweetness out some. I use both methods and have like the results thus far.

Looks like a good IPA recipe to me. Many include too much crystal or caramel malts. Based on your suggestion that carapils might help, i assume you are looking for more body? Some west coast IPAs actually replace some of their grain with sugar in an effort to increase attenuation (sometimes they are targeting a FG of 1.010 or less) which usually correlates with less body. What was your starting and finishing gravity?

Thanks for all the input guys. Yes I am shooting for more body. Dont get me wrong, the beer is great, I just feel that it could use a little more fuller mouth feel.

I am not sure that it is a problem with the mash temp because I use a digital thermometer in tandem with the thermometer on my mashtun for extra accuracy. But I guess its possible they could both be off.

I am going to brew this again in October. I think I will deduct a pound of base malt and replace it with carapils and see what that does

What was the mash grain/water ratio? That might have something to do with it too. But I like the ida of wheat or carapils to build some body and calibrating the thermometer.

Might I suggest adding the mouthfeel you are looking for with hop shots? I just made a beer with all of the hops (and hopshots)in the last 20 minutes. Smooth bitterness, great mouthfeel and wonderfull flavor. Just a thought!

It might be the topic of another thread, but I like to sparge with enough water to reach my target pre boil voulume. I dont like the idea of adding water post boil. The runnings are clear but I figure water run through the grain are better than water added post boil. Im working on a blichmann 3 tier 20 gal kettle and I seem to loose quite a bit on a 90 minute

oh and my OG was 1.063 and FG 1.013

seems like plenty of gravity remaining for decent body to me. Your original grain bill looks solid as far as IPA's and Pale's are concerned. I would say your recipe looks excellent... but as others have said, if you desire more body..mash higher

Right. At 1.013 you already have a moderately full body for an IPA. If you want more, try 3-5% of your grist in carapils, or wheat as has been suggested. Carapils should add some non-fermentable dextrin to your wort, and wheat or other adjuncts like flaked barley, oats, or rye will also add to mouthfeel. Or just mash a couple of degrees higher. Give it a try and let us know what you think.

Im not sure what my mash ph was because I dont have a ph tester. I use a mash ratio of about 1.25/1.3 quarts per pound of grain. I have never heard of hop shots, I will have to do some research

Im not sure what my mash ph was because I dont have a ph tester. I use a mash ratio of about 1.25/1.3 quarts per pound of grain. I have never heard of hop shots, I will have to do some research

You may be oversparging, when you could use more water in the mash.

Do you check your runnings from the sparge? If they are running clear, that could be a sign of oversparging. You could take a sample of those runnings, and chill it and then check the SG. Some of the lack of body could be oversparging, as you have a decent recipe there for a medium-full body in the beer.

I'd use 1.5 quarts/pound in the mash, and sparge up to your boil volume, but don't put more than a total of 3 quarts/pound of water through your grain without checking your runnings.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I think I will use some carapils and try to mash closer to 154 degrees. I will be brewing this again in October and I will let you know how it comes out. Feel free to brew this recipe, it's delicious. I just tapped a more session IPA that I brewed which came out amazing if anybody is interested in the recipe.

I am planning on buying a barrel cask and casking half of the brew in October. Im pretty excited about it. Ive never casked before

Yooper you are correct, my runnings are pretty clear by the end, but I dont check them because I use a hydrometer and it would take too long to chill the sample to get the reading while Im sparging. I will take your advice and mash with 1.5 quarts/pount and sparge with less water

Back