need some help with my first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blowmax10

Reaction score
hello eveyone, i'm new to brewing beer and look forward to many sucessful batches

my first batch is a London Porter and my question is how long do i leave it in the primary fermenter?

i'm using all glass if that helps

Well, the easy answer is "until it's done". But that's not the whole answer! It really depends on what your plan is for the beer. Are you using a secondary (clearing tank)? If you are, I like the 1-2-3 method- that is, 1 week in the fermenter, 2 weeks in the secondary, 3 weeks in bottles then drink!

If you're not using a secondary fermenter, I like to leave my beers in the fermenter 2-3 weeks, and until the sg is stable three days in a row.

Welcome to HBT! Check out the stickies and ask any questions you'd like. It's nice to have you here. :mug:

thanks - i was planning on the 1-2-3 method but i wasn't sure it was right with this thick dark beer

it makes me fell better that i was on the right course

The best advice you can get right now is to read EVERYTHING you can find. The search option for the forum is a great tool. Yes, good luck and enjoy!:rockin:

Back