Need some help now with wiring!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tooblue02

Reaction score
So now that I have the pulley's figured out and mounted up I am getting ready to redo the wiring on the old AC motor (not sure how old but at least 15 years!) Anyways, the wiring on this motor is somewhat interesting as it is basically a plug in to start it (with a toggle switch mounted inline) and a small plastic box (about 1" X 2" and about 1/4" high. I am not sure what this box is and don't want to try and open it (thinking a fuse maybe? or capacitor?)

So I grabbed some new wires and a new switch and box to rewire with and I was planning on cutting out the little black box since the wires keep slipping out of it anyways. Do I need to add capacitor with this motor or is it already in the motor housing?

For info: it is a Dayton Split Phase AC motor 1/3 HP 1725 RPM

Thanks!

First place to start is with the little black box. If you don't know whats in it, I would cut it out without looking. Second if it is already wired. then just rewire it as it is. Doesn't matter if you keep an online switch or not. As long as you maintain a way to shut if off, even a switched outlet. Should be pretty straight forward. FIRST rule of electrics - if you don't know what your cutting - don't.

Just went to look at it a second time, it is riveted shut and the wires can be pulled out (they have female blade type connectors on them). My main problem was one of the connectors in the box was loose but I got it tight now and it seems to be fine. Still going to re-wire the rest of it after the black box though. Will post some pics later this evening when I am done. Thanks for the help!

Back