need some help brainstorming - Hopfen Weiss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

android

Reaction score
today i had one of the most wonderful beers, a Schneider & Brooklyner 'Hopfen Weiss', which weighs in at 8.2% ABV, which you hardly notice. it's an interesting twist on a weiss. the call it a pale weissbock (but on the bottle it's also called a hopfen-weiss ALE, and it has that weiss yeast taste to it), dry hopped with a local hallerauer (saphie). absolutely delicious and has the most beautiful pale golden color to it.

i'm wondering if anyone can help me out with a recipe approximation. or just some ideas on what malts might work, etc.

thanks in advance!

forgot to mention, this is the schneider version of it, i didn't realize until googling it that both breweries made a version. so, i'm still a little unclear if there are mixed yeast being used or what.

here's what i've come up with...

7.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
7.50 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 50.00 %

2.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 27.0 IBU
1.25 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] (30 min) Hops 10.8 IBU
1.00 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] (5 min) Hops 2.2 IBU

1 Pkgs Bavarian Wheat Yeast (Wyeast Labs #3056) Yeast-Wheat

0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops

also, i've never attempted a 'big' beer before, i'm shooting for 8% or a little higher with this one, as is, beersmith has this at 8.45%

some questions:

1) how much should i up the grain bill to compensate for efficiency loss?

2) is .25 of amarillo enough to give a nice hoppy aroma without dominating the nose?

3) how big of a starter should i consider for a brew with an SG of ~1.084?

4) should i consider a larger boil volume/longer boil and a longer mash?

thanks!

H-E-L-L-O????? Has anyone helped android out here??? need more info on this great beer and a clone of it!!!

Sorry, need to have a clone recipe of this.........this great, GREAT bier!!:drunk:

I would recommend reducing your 60 minute hops to 1.5 oz and add more at 10 minute and knock out to bring your IBUs back up to the same level. I remember this beer being really hoppy, maybe use more amarillos for this.

1. What is your efficiency now? 1.084 shouldn't drop you all that many points. How does your system handle 50% wheat?
2. Maybe do an ounce in dry hopping.
3. Lots of pitch rate calculators out there. But one thing to consider is desired ester production from the yeast strain. Pending your fermentation temperature your pitch rate will effect your ester production. I recall the beer being on the lower end with the banana notes, so go big on the starter.
4. Longer boil shouldn't be necessary unless your mash tun can't hold that much grain and you have to boil down to achieve your gravity. What length of mash and boil is normal for you? You might pick up some iodine to check for starch conversion, then you'll know when your mash is done, wheat can take longer I believe. You should be fine with a 60 min mash.

after getting a PM on this, and not thinking about it for like 7 months, i think my efficiency will be fine, i might bump the grain bill up a hair since my last big beer only got about 65% efficiency. i think you're right that an ounce of dry hopping would be prudent. and i also think using something like magnum or sterling for bittering makes more sense than using a boatload of hallertau. and i think i would target ~20 IBU, maybe a tad more, with the bittering and then make up for it with late hallertau additions to get to around 40, which is what the website said when i checked it (i can't seem to find the website i used to make up this recipe). and good call on the large starter so 3056 won't throw off too many esters, i also think a low fermentation temp (below 65) would help along those lines. and i no longer think the long mash/long boil is necessary now that i've done a big beer or two.

oh yeah, and dump a solid few pounds of rice hulls in there to aid in lautering.

so if you want to get your clone closer to the real thing (at least by Brooklyns ingredient list), here's a few little touch-ups you might want to do to your recipe:
1) swap 2-row pale, for german pilsner (prolly not needed)
2) add some palisade w/ the amarillo for dry hopping
3) No hallertauer, the hops used are williamette, cascase, amarillo, and palisade

i've never had the brooklyn version of this, only the schneider one, unfortunately we don't get the other one in Iowa... i'd love to try it though.

Isn't this post about the collaboration (Brooklyner-Schnieder) one?

Back