Need some grain storage assistance.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redtab78

Reaction score
I am getting ready to PCS (move) from Washington State out to Guam. The shipment of all my house hold goods is going to take roughly 45 days to cross the ocean and get delivered to me. I want to pack a couple hundred pounds of grain to take but I am not quite sure what containers to buy to properly seal them for the trip.

The shipment is happening sometime around August time frame, so I am sure the temps will be high, but I am convinced that if packed and stored properly and sealed or vacu-sealed, it will be ok.

5 gallon buckets. Preferably something food safe. Could get expensive if you had to buy a bunch of them. I have 8 grain storage buckets. I wasn't able to find the free buckets that people talk about, so mine ran around $7 each with lids from home depot (white buckets). There is debate on the food safeness of the cheaper orange buckets.

For reference, a 50 lb bag of 2 row takes 2.5 buckets. If you order 7 gallon buckets online, you can fit one bag in 2 buckets. About 20 lbs in a 5 gallon bucket.

I use 5-gallon buckets with gamma-seal lids.

You can use lids with gaskets that you pound on with a rubber hammer. They'll seal.

I've bought from U-line in the past, and they are good, and so are their products. I have some of these:

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-7914W/Drums-And-Pails/5-Gallon-Plastic-Pail-White

and added some of the pound-on lids w/ gaskets. Those lids are cheaper than gamma-seals, but gamma-seals are nice because they're easy to get in and out of. You might want a few of those.

Lids: https://www.uline.com/Product/ProductDetailRootItem?modelnumber=S-9948

You can get about 25 pounds of barley malt in a 5-gallon bucket.

You can get plastic food-grade buckets from the home store cheaper, but generally they're 70-mil plastic instead of the 90-mil that U-line has. I think Uline has shipping on the west coast too, but could be wrong on that.

FYI Lowe’s has both food grade buckets and gamma lids for just over $10 for the set.

A 5 or 7 gallon bucket will not work. I need to pack a couple hundred pounds. which would take about 8-12 5 gallon buckets. I was hoping someone might have a bigger solution that would reduce it down to only about 6 or so containers.

Look into vittle vaults. They are food grade pet food containers. I use the large ones for storage. You can fit a sac of grain per container.

They have a gasket for an air tight seal and they are stackable. You can find them on sale a few timed a year.

Look into vittle vaults. They are food grade pet food containers. I use the large ones for storage. You can fit a sac of grain per container.

They have a gasket for an air tight seal and they are stackable. You can find them on sale a few timed a year.

Ditto, I use the vittle vaults. Good containers and should make the trip.

when you say large vittle valts, are you talking about the 80 pound vaults or the 50?

If you have extra space/weight, you might want to talk to the other Guam members of the forum... I know some of them have had trouble sourcing ingredients/equipment and you could be their savior. ;)

Back