need some glycerine help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomRep

Reaction score
I've been checking pharmacies in the are for glycerine with no real luck. Today I stopped at a CVS near my work and they actually had some. The only problem is I'm not sure if it's food grade. I even talked to the pharmacists (two of them dropped everything to help me which was pretty cool) and they looked it up online and called someone and still couldn't give me a definite answer. The one lady said she is almost positive it is food safe, but didn't want to say to use it on account of ruining a batch of beer! The glycerine I got is in the skin care isle. The list of hazards and warnings state nothing about if you get it in your mouth. The one lady even said the stuff is "supposed" to be safe to use on your face and lips, so I would think it should be fine. I know there are online sources for proven food safe glycerine, but my vials are coming omorrow and I have two strains I'd like to freeze before I use them on Saturday. Below or pictures I took of the bottle I got. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Tom

2012-02-09_20-36-33_437.jpg

2012-02-09_20-36-44_379.jpg

2012-02-09_20-36-53_683.jpg

Excuse me for not doing a search, but what does glycerin do for yeast? And why are you freezing them before you use them on sat?

I'm not freezing all the yeast, just a small portion. Do a search for "frozen yeast bank". You can take a small sample of yeast slurry and mix it with glycerine to freeze. The glycerine helps The yeast cells from getting damaged when frozen. When you want to use the yeast, u take it out and make a starter and your good to go. Main benefit is the $20 paid yesterday for three pouches of yeast will hopefully never have to be paid again.
Tom

I had the same feeling postal, just needed some reassurance! Like I said, I know where I can get some food grade glycerine online, just no time for that with the yeast I'm using this weekend. I could do it after fermentation, but the whole reason I'm doing it in the first place is to store pure yeast strains, not trub! I did the washing thing and it worked okay, but I'm looking for a smaller, more long term storage idea. Going to be slanting as well so I'll have yeast everywhere I turn!
Tom

Found this while searching when I bought the walmart version.

Go to the skin care aisle of most any pharmacy and you'll find a small(usually 6oz) bottle labled Glycerine, USP(Some pharmacies don't carry outright , but will special order for you). The label may have it listed as CVS Glycerine, USP or Rite Aid Glycerine, USP or Humco Glycerine, USP or Family Pharmacy Glycerine, USP etc.. you get my point. Whatever it's labeled, it's Glycerine, USP 99.5% anhydrous(meaning 0.5% water). It will cost anywhere from $3 to $6 for 6oz.(CHEAP) This is vegetable glycerine, absolutely, positively, no doubt. How do I know this? I'm a pharmacist. All OTCglycerine,USP is made by 1 single manufacturer, HUMCO. It is then contract packaged into the different pharmacy labeled bottles. I've personally called HUMCO and spoke with their QA(quality assurance) person. He assured me that HUMCO's Glycerine is in fact Vegetable source Glycerine. The reason it's labeled Glycerine and not Vegetable Glycerine is because #1 it is listed in the USP as Glycerine, USP and therefore(in order to keep the USP certification) must be labeled as it's listed in the USP. #2 it would cause confusion as Glycerine is Glycerine(regardless of the source - chemically 1,2,3-propane triol also sometimes referred to as Glycerol), to add the moniker VEGETABLE, makes it sound like it's two different and distinct products, it isn't. Also, USP grade Glycerine is the purest you can get. Food Grade "vegetable Glycerine" you get in health food store saying 99.9% is BS. Since they do not have to meet any standard(such as USP standards) they could say anything, they could say 10000% pure. If you get USP grade, you know you are getting exactly what is labeled(within allowable USP limits) and it is made to most stringent requirements available in the US. (i.e. USP stands for United States Pharmacopeia- drugs have meet higher standards then foods do). Kashrut(kosher) laws are Jewish religious dietary laws having to do with the preparation of food products and really have nothing to do with the labeled purity of the product. Also, Kashrut(kosher) laws are jurisdictional(handled differently in different places). In some cases a rabbi must come to the manufacturer and verify processes and equipment conform to kosher law and in some places it's enough that the manufacturer says or thinks he is conforming to the kosher laws. In any case USP and Kosher are 2 different things. There is no such listing in the USP for "Kosher Glycerine". To the people who are feeling naseous using pharmacy bought Glycerine, USP, it may be a placebo effect(thinking your not using the real VG) or you may have a sensitivity to Glycerine(unlikely). But it is not because the Pharmacy bought Glycerine,USP is inferior or NOT Vegetable Glycerine.

Latest posts

Back