Need some ESB Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schwind

Reaction score
So, it turns out a good thing was turned into a bad thing last sunday when I brewed my ESB. I overshot my efficiency by 9% and what was supposed to be a 1.065ish beer turned into a 1.072. I wasn't expecting 84%.

Anyways, I bought S-04 for the beer. Its attenuation is 65-70% and it has left my FG at 1.022. Thats 68% This is to high for my tastes and the beer from the hydro sample too sweet.

I mashed at 154. Added pure o2 for a minute or 2, and fermented at 66. Its been 2 weeks now and the beer is definitely done fermenting. The grains were MO, biscuit, and crystal. There are more fermentable sugars in the carboy and I need to turn them into alcohol.

I have searched for ideas on what to do, but nothing really good has come up. I don't want to add champagne yeast but I was considering tossing in some US-05. I really love that yeast and I've done some big beers with it so I'm sure it can handle the alcohol content. I just don't know if this is a good idea or not.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Schwind

The o5 will will work fine. Be sure to rehydrate it before you add the yeast. I would hydrate and slowly add some of the beer into the container until you get some positive signs of fermentation and then add it to the primary.

Back