Need some advice on converting a metheglin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gamrchick

Reaction score
I have been interested in making a metheglin using rosemary or lavender. Lavender recipes are pretty easy to find, rosemary... not so much. Well, I found a recipe for a Rosemary Lavender Metheglin, and I really want to try it. My problem is, up to this point, any metheglins we have made have either been the Christmas spices or a single spice and any recipe we used was for a 5 gallon batch. This recipe is for a 1 gallon batch. How would I convert this to make a 5 gallon batch? I know basic multipliers don't work with spices, but I wasn't sure if you just leave the spices on longer or just double the amount. Here are the ingredients for 1 gallon:

1/2 cup fresh rosemary
1/4 cup lavender flowers
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
2 teaspoons dried hibiscus flowers
3 pounds orange blossom honey
1 teaspoon acid blend
1 teaspoon pectic enzyme
Yeast
Yeast nutrient
1 1/2 cups orange juice at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon grape tannin

The recipe uses the orange juice to start the yeast. I've never done that and if its not necessary, I'm willing to skip it.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. This will be my 1st time using acid, pectic enzyme and tannins as well (I'm a melomel girl) so I am looking for input on how to convert this entire recipe.

Thanks!

Rebecca

I like Mels too. My suggestion is don't really increase the spices unless you are going for 10 gal batch. Since you have fresh and not dried you may be quite suprised as to how potent a 1/2 cup of rosemary is. Like Cloves, a 6 gal batch only needs 1-2 whole cloves for a very clovy batch. So I would bruise up the herbs good but leave the amounts along, even if you are going 6 gal. The longest I would leave it in is 1 month. I prob would go about 2-3 weeks or so but that should get you a good taste. The herbs will come out in aging if they are not strong in the mix. If you feel you really must then don't increase the herbs by more than 50%, and I wouldn't do that unless I am doing a 6 gal batch, a 5 gal doesn't need it. Less is more with herbs.

I did a pear nutmeg mead and only used a 1/2 of a whole nutmeg in a 5 gal batch. Freashly crushed. I ended up with a strong nutmeg flavor that aged out to almost overpowering the pear. I like pairing spices with fruit for unusual flavors.

On the OJ for the starter of the yeast? I wouldn't bother, Most mead makers suggest ferment-K for that. Personally I just put my yeast in a cup of 1/2 water 1/2 must while I am waiting for the must to cool from my warming it enough to mix properly. I usually let that sit for about 1/2 hr before tossing.
Also with the flowers I don't think you need the tannin. Most wine makers use Tannin but with mead it, like moss, is truely not neccessary. You also would not need the pectic enzyme there. I suspect it is only for the OJ. After all you really don't have any fruit to break down cell walls of.

Hope this helps.

Matrix (simple yet complex)

Thank you so much! I figure it's going to take some trial and error, but I'll start with the spices as is and add more later if it's even necessary. I'm planning on bulk aging for 6 months to a year before bottling, so I'll have some time to play.

I've been intimidated by the whole spice and herb thing from the start. Our 2nd mead was a ciser w/dates, raisins and christmas spices. The cinnamon was so over powering even after a year of aging.

The pear/nutmeg mead sounds very interesting. Were you able to perfect it? Also, what other combos have you done that you would recommend trying?

Thanks again. This helped a lot!

Rebecca

If I do the pear nutmeg again, I plan on only going a 1/4 of a whole nutmeg a bit more pears. It tasted great for the first year but the nutmeg was a bit too much over time.

Other flavors (All 5-6 gal batches):

Vanilla Almond: I only used 1 pound of sliced almonds and 6 beans in the must in the secondary. It turned out not enough almond. I would use 2 pounds and toast them next time and maybe another vanilla bean or two. Not many mead makers use nuts. It was good.

Strawberry: Turned out great but I put the strawberries in the primary and it blew through the air lock. Also turned out like rocket fuel, not in taste but in potency. The taste was raved about.

Lime: this sounds odd but it turned out the citrus made it the best mead I made yet. I may do this again and add vanilla.

Peach Spearmint: Went very light on the spearmint and it turned out that it was enough to cut the peach flavor and make it non-cloying and give a bit of a zing. I may try Peach Basil or Some other spice that is sweet or a Peach Lemon.

Orange Vanilla: Used 1 pound of Lactose, to try for a more creamy flavor, turns out I prob should have used 3 pounds. But it is still a very good flavor. 3 vanilla beans and used 2 cans of Organic frozen concentrate. The pulp immediately settled like less than an hour after I mixed it in the secondary.

Pumpkin Spice: I used 1/2 a whole nutmeg, 2 cinnamon sticks, 2 whole cloves and 1 vanilla bean (split open and spread but not scraped) I didn't cook the pumpkin so this one didn't have much pumpkiny flavor so it turned out very spicy.

Pumpkin Toasted Almond: This should be about done aging, By the smell I think this one will turn out very well. Used 2 pounds of sliced almonds that I toasted prior to putting in the must. I have high hopes for this.

Blueberry: Did this in the primary and it was hard to start due to the thickness. It fermented very dry and I needed to backsweeten it a lot. But it is a very good one. Doing a blueberry lemon with fruit in the secondary. I think that after aging I will get a much better flavor.

Chocolate and Chocolate Mint: Using 2 pounds of cacao nibs roasted and ground prior to in the must. The chocolate Mint, used less than 1/4 teaspoon of extract.

Pineapple Lime Mint: Used 1/4 teaspoon mint extract and it came out strong but not overpowering, recomendation is to use less but it turned out great. If I do this one again I would use more than 5 pineapples and 2 cups of lime juice. More like 4 cups and 7 pineapples should do it. Mint Extract go a little lighter on.

The best one was:
Raspberry Thyme: The smell of this one was increadible. I could smell the Thyme and the raspberry. Still aging. I could tell though that the Thyme (went with about 1/4 oz of freash leaves they are tiny freashly bruised prior to putting in) Went very light but that turned out a good thing. I can tell that the time is breaking up the raspberry enough and complementing it.

So on using herbs, My advise is to go very light on it. When possible go with fresh and bruise leaves prior to putting in the must. If not possible to go fresh then go with organic spice from a good spice shop and use less than 1/2 teaspoon. When ever possible avoid powdered spices, they will just get caught in the must. Also, if you have the time for control sake you can make a tincture or extract yourself with fresh. Look up "Making homemade Mint Extract" or "Making Vanilla extract" for a process. Most herbs will be the same process with just a bit different on the time needed to extract. 2 weeks to 2 months pending. You can also make nut extracts the same way, I have experiments running and hope to have it go well. I made a hazelnut extract that I plan on using in a Pumpkin Hazelnut that I made.

A second way to use spices that is more controlable is to make a tea of it. Steap herbs in boiled water for a while and let it sit. Then use the water. That's how many flowers are used in wine or mead. I hear it is also more controlable.

The best advice I have is GO FOR IT. Much like carpentry, measure twice, cut once or in this case: Research your substance, figure out your method of delivery, then experiment and do it. Do not fear what happens. Never throw away a mead that tastes bad. You can always use it in good cooking as a glaze or a marinade. Also, many times you will just need to be patient and age it longer than you initially think.

Afterall if we can't have fun with it what's the point.

Matrix (Complex but simple)

WOW! Thank you. These are some great ideas. The Raspberry Thyme sounds wonderful. I've made a Dry Strawberry which was one of my favorites and a Chocolate Cherry that aged out very nicely. I used unsweetened cocoa powder instead of cocoa nibs. That was fun. It was like fermenting mud.

You've given me a lot to consider. Cheers! :tank:

No Prob. Let me know what you come up with. Over the weekend I had some interesting ideas but always good to get more.

Matrix

i realize this is an old post, but on the off chance anyone comes by im ramping up to try a thyme-raspberry metheglin.

i read above that 1/4oz of fresh & bruised thyme is recommended for 5 gallons. my question is, how long do you soak them for? ie. how long before you rack them out? i suppose i'll go by taste if i don't hear back but any guidance would be most appreciated! thank you!

Back