Need Sanity Check on my Water Calcs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrolSpice

Reaction score
This is my first time adjusting my water and don't want to screw it up because I'm brewing a IIPA with an expensive grain and hop bill. I do BIAB so there will be no sparge water. I mash in the full volume of water. For this batch, the water volume is 11.52 gallons to yield 8 gallons into the fermenter.

Grain bill:
23.75 lb 2-Row
3.25 lb Munich light
7 oz Crystal 10

Here are my water test results from Ward...
pH: 7.7
Ca: 29
Mg: 18
Na: 17
SO4: 45
Cl: 11
HCO3: 162

Using Bru'n Water, I am targeting the Pale Ale profile which is as follows...
Ca: 140
Mg: 18
Na: 25
SO4: 300
Cl: 55
HCO3: 110

Using the calculator, I get the following additions to get close to the target profile...
Gypsum: 1.55 grams/gal
Calcium Chloride: 0.18 grams/gal
Canning Salt: 0.08 grams/gal

To get a mash pH of 5.4 I need 0.58 mL/gal of lactic acid. I did not use any acid malt in the grain bill. Lactic acid seems way easier.

So my plan is to add all of the salts and lactic acid into the mash water before doughing in and then proceed to brew as normal.

Questions...
1) Do my numbers look reasonable?
2) Is 6.7 mL of lactic acid for an 8 gallon batch (11.52 gallons of mash water) too much?
3) Would I be better off using phosphoric acid? Seems like there's less chances of off-flavors.
4) Does my process look okay?
5) Do I need to do anything differently because I am not sparging?

Thank you!

1. Yes However I think the canning salt is unnecessary
2. No
3. Yes
4. You got me on this one. I don't BIAB.

Back