Need Recipes for Blonde/Golden Ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wadefisher

Brew Meister
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking for recipes to try to make Blonde/Golden Ale. You would think I had one by now but none that have had GREAT reviews. I like to look at others recipes and the feed back they have had to get a good head start on my own. Please if you will share your favorite and tell me WHY/WHAT you liked about it. And Yes I am taking notes on what has already been posted.

If you don't have a recipe and would like to shout out what you like to see in one, or what you like about your favorite local brewed, feel free to put it here.

I made a blonde once with honey malt and carapils in addition to a pale base and simcoe for all the hops and it was a great beer. The honey malt gave it an interesting flavor, the carapils gave it a crazy meringue head with great retention, and the simcoe made it fruity, and refreshing. It fermented out dry with us-05 and the keg went super fast. Here's a pic of it and its crazy head.

DSC_3483NEF.jpg

I made a blonde once with honey malt and carapils in addition to a pale base and simcoe for all the hops and it was a great beer. The honey malt gave it an interesting flavor, the carapils gave it a crazy meringue head with great retention, and the simcoe made it fruity, and refreshing. It fermented out dry with us-05 and the keg went super fast. Here's a pic of it and its crazy head.

DSC_3483NEF.jpg

Wow. That head looks like it needs to be sitting on a piece of warm pie... That looks great!

Do you know the mash profile ?

I've got the recipe on my other computer and can look up the specifics later but off the top of my head I remember the gist of it. It is actually one of the few beers I've ever made with extract. I had some extra time one day but not enough for an AG batch, so I threw it together with stuff I had.

I'm pretty sure it had 1 lb each of the honey malt and carapils. Extra light DME to hit 1.045 or so OG but pale 2-row would work too. I probably bittered to 25-30 IBU with moderate-sized late additions to get the simcoe flavor and aroma in there. US-05 yeast.

Forgot to mention that I probably just steeped the crushed grain for 30 minutes between 150-160 before adding a little of the extract and starting the boil, doing a late extract addition for the rest later.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if the head could have been the result of steeping honey malt instead of mashing it? Maybe it has some kind of proteins or dextrins that break down during a mash but didn't get the chance when just steeped. Might be worth experimenting with...

I made this:
98% pils malt +2% cane sugar for 1050/52 og;
mash at 64°C for 1h, 72°C for 10', mash out at 78°C;
Styrian golding for 25-26 ibu at 60', citra 0,6 gramms/litre at flameout.
Trappist High gravity for 2 weeks at 22°C, ensure to have an attenuation at least 80%!

Surely my best beer, simple but whit great smelling, refreshing, i can't stop drink it! :drunk:

P.S: sorry, i wrote european measures but they are simple to convert...

Back