Need motivation!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
I'm snowed in, I've got the makings for four batches and I can't get motivated to brew. Part of that is the freezing temperatures in the garage, part is the melomel that is fermenting but dead slow and part is the news that the engineers working on my product have been hiding problems. General depression rules.

cartman.gif

Just replace the "pie" with "beer"

Figure out who the screw-offs are. Figure out who is the real deal who can get **** done.

Call the real deals in at some point and ask them what kind of beer they like. Tell them you'll have a nice little "bonus" for them if they get the **** done.

david_42 said:
I'm snowed in, I've got the makings for four batches and I can't get motivated to brew. Part of that is the freezing temperatures in the garage, part is the melomel that is fermenting but dead slow and part is the news that the engineers working on my product have been hiding problems. General depression rules.
FORGET THE BEER GO SLEDDING..

david_42 said:

BUY A TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hard to send homebrew to China these days & that's where the engineers are.

TV - I got rid of my TV 25 years ago & no one has given me any good reason to get another. I worked for Group W cable in the 80's, which could have meant all channels free & I didn't bother. I occasionally see TV in brewpubs & all they make me want to do is shut them off. TV-B-Gone is my hero.

Make something different, something that's a bit off the wall for you. Looks like a lot of porters, brown ales, milds, hefes, that you've got brewed right now; how about something with some hops in it? :D

Yeah more hops!

I was totally tired of brewing last weekend. Managed to get my bottling on, but I ****in hate bottling. But I hadn't brewed in so long! Something must be done! My hobbie must continue!

So I found a Pliny the Elder clone and went to the brew store and cleaned them outta hops. They didn't have any of the hops I needed in pellets, so I got everything loose. Over a pound of loose hops later... I love making beer again.

I think Pliny is the cure-all for brewer's depression. Dude was in a funk a while ago, and he snapped out of it when he made his Pliny the Bastid. I'm dying to actually try Pliny (hard to find around here), in part so I know what I'm going for when I try it myself...

I got shut of the TV 2 years ago. Good move....

More brew time.

Get ya self wrapped up and go brew. You'll enjoy it and it sounds like you need to get :drunk:

Come on now, is there anything more satisfying than a freshly filled carboy? The anticipation of fermentation is awesome, and I love admiring a nice, thick krausen on my wort. Now get out there and brew, damn it!

Wait, wait, wait................................................................................F******G WAIT. You mean to tell me that i am sitting at work unable to brew, and you are sitting at home, not only able to brew once but maybe 4 times today, and you can not find the motivation?

Man, if there has ever been a more clear sign you are to brew, i dont know what it would be.

Do it for those of us at work would ya!

If you brew some beer the process will warm up your brewery, making it both comfortable and better for fermentation and while you are brewing you can drink yourself stupid and then either forget about those engineers or build up some good old drunken anger and find what seems at the time to be a fitting way to tell them off.

In other words, stop whining and get brewing. There is no problem that brewing can't solve.

Reverend JC said:
Wait, wait, wait................................................................................F******G WAIT. You mean to tell me that i am sitting at work unable to brew, and you are sitting at home, not only able to brew once but maybe 4 times today, and you can not find the motivation?

Man, if there has ever been a more clear sign you are to brew, i dont know what it would be.

Do it for those of us at work would ya!

I hear you brother, I am currently sitting in a windowless basement with 7hrs still to go at work, drinking coffee.

Please make beer :mug:

If you don't hurry up and brew some more, before you know it you may be left with going out to buy some Bud Light!

I shudder at the thought. It may SEEM like you already have a lot of beer brewed, but it goes fast. Sometimes it seems as though someone else is drinking your beer.

Get brewing! :mug:

Brewpastor said:
Just Brew It

This is what I need on a T- shirt!

Brewing is the most fun hobby- it surprises me that you don't have the motivation for it. You have to find something to take your mind off your troubles and the weather. So, do it. Even though you don't want to, make a batch of beer. Once you get going, you'll wonder why it took you so long!

Lorena

With the weather you guys normally get, you should complain. I went out on my cold patio tonight (-7c and if you factored the wind chill -14c) and BBQ'ed two prime rib steaks, drinking a few cold brews while doing it.

if I had today off, I would have brewed. As it stands, I'll be brewing either saturday or sunday.

nosnhojr said:
I was expecting "What would Jesus brew?" ;)

That's a very excellent question! Brewpastor? Would you be willing to shed some light on the subject?

Personally, I think Jesus would brew a cask-conditioned barley-wine. Here's my reasoning...

Obviously, Jesus travelled a lot and it would not be convenient for him to constantly brew batches of beer, so he would need something that stayed fresh over an extended period of time. This requires high alcohol and the addition of a lot of hops. So, you might think, IPA, right? Wrong!

Although an IPA would have the hops and high alcohol to keep over an extended period of time, they tend to be quite foamy and I don't think Jesus would have had the bottling capacity to maintain a sufficient head on an IPA... so it would have to be a beer that could get by with less head. Additionally, Jesus' father, as we know, was a carpenter, so his dad probably could have made barrels for his son reasonably well. This would ensure plenty of opportunity for cask conditioning.

Therefore, to review, Jesus would have to brew a high-gravity, highly-hopped beer that can be aged in a cask and will last a long time. To me, that means it would probably be a barley-wine.

Anybody care to disagree? :fro:

Well, he didn't make wine in the traditional sense. He just transformed water into it! :D Also, he did said barleyWINE. :cross:

Your motivation will come back, things like that are cyclical. What if you taught someone to brew who has expressed interest. Tell that person to pick the style and then you educate that person on all that goes into a recipe development. I know that I'm always excited to show someone all that can be involved in homebrewing. While I'm still learning from others, I discovered that I have learned enough to get others interested.

To regain motivation, get a new toy. Something like a Brew Magic would definitely inspire me, and it would save a lot of wear and tear on my back.

I would say take a break if that's what strikes you. Down a few that need to be drank. No need to brew if you not up to it now. You might take shortcuts or make mistakes that would only annoy you more. Not to mention it might feel too much like work.

The bug will hit you again when you least expect it to happen. You could also dream up a new beer that you want to drink in March or April. Sometimes planning is half the fun of the hobby.

:mug:

Ok, I now have the Schwartzbier/Black ale experiment going.

Sure I could brew every day, but what would I do with that much beer? Just about everyone I socialize with homebrews, so I get one back for anything I give away. I live a LONG way from anyone else, so no one stops by to drink my beer (they're all BMC swillers anyway). And I really don't like getting drunk, did too much of that in the Navy.

Brewmagic is on the list, but until my new company gets rolling, NO new toys. Now that's depressing!

Back