Need Lager Fermentation Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougdecinces

Reaction score
I plan on brewing a baltic porter next weekend. I was hoping my unfinished basement would be cold enough to ferment. I bought a refrigerator thermometer and have been monitoring temperatures all around the basement, and the lowest it's been is 62 degrees. We keep the house at 64 degrees and it's been hi 40s-50s/low 20s-30s here. Now I'm trying to figure out the best method for fermenting this.

Right now my two options are an unheated guest room or my pantry. I can put the fermenter in my 12 gallon igloo cooler and fill with water to buffer. In the guest room, temperatures fluctuate between the mid-40s and high 50s. Average outdoor temperatures for the next few weeks will be mid-40s/high 20s. The question I have is should I keep it in the guest room with the lower default temperatures, or should keep it in the main house where temperatures are warmer, but more predictable?

I will also welcome any other suggestions.

I vote for swamp cooler to buffer in the guest room. Maybe put a tub of water in there now and see what the temp evens out too, and how much it fluctuates. If its inside of, say, 48*-54*, you're golden.

Back