Need input for new recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy_84

Reaction score
Ok my wife love blackberry mead. So I got to thinking I have a honey blonde ale that I like to make from a kit I buy. So I was thinking of doing a honey ale blackberry saison. But they I was thinking should I put the honey in after the boil and ferment the raw honey and blackberries or should I put it in the boil. My problem with in the boil is that it will bring out a Carmel note instead of a honey note. Any one done anything like this or tried. I'm still kinda new to beer brewing.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Honey is a difficult ingredient to work with in a beer. At anything less than a recipe approaching a braggot it's very difficult to get any flavor through the fermentation process. Honey flavors are delicate to begin with, and it's so highly attenuative that there's not much left other than dryness.

If I were going to try, I'd replace 1/2 pound of crystal malt with 1/2 a pound of Gambrinus honey malt in the mash (it also works OK as a steeping grain). Then I'd get a pound of some very bold-flavored honey, like, say, mesquite honey. Dissolve in an equal volume of filtered water over heat at 145F. Hold it at that temp for 30 minutes, cool, then place in the fermentor using sanitary means prior to adding yeast.

Decrease your OG by about .008 by reducing base malt, to account for the honey addition.

I would put the honey in after the boil so that you don't destroy it's delicate flavor. The blackberries I would put in about 2 minutes to flameout or right at flameout so you can kill of any wild yeast. Other option would be to put the blackberries in and the end of primary or start of secondary.

Cool guy thanks for the input. I was also thinking of just adding 1/3 blackberry mead to 2/3 a beer but I have a filling that would create bottle bombs lol. Also taste horrible

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back