Need Ideas for this recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwerner23

Reaction score
I am wanting to make up my own extract IPA.
This is what I was thinking.

6lbs. Gold liquid malt extract
1/2 lb. Crystal 50-60L grains
1/2 lb. Belgian Aromatic Malt
1/2 lb. Golden Naked Oats
2 oz. Nugget pellet hops for bittering
1.5 oz. Centennial pellet Hops for flavor
1.5 oz. Centennial pellet Hops for aroma
1 oz. Cascade leaf hops for dry hopping

Need advice on what you think and which yeast to try.

Thank you,
Jeff

As far as I know, aromatic malt is not typically used in IPAs. Half a pound of it will be quite assertive and out of style, I'm sure. Oats give a sort of slick mouthfeel that I also wouldn't associate with IPAs. IPAs tend to have a relatively simple grist, usually just pale malt and crystal, maybe with Munich or wheat for some additional bump in body. I'm not an expert, but that's the impression I get. I'd also suggest dry hopping with more than 1 oz, and possibly increasing your late hop additions. As for yeast, just go with something clean like US-05/WLP001/Wyeast 1056.

I like WL 001 Cali ale or Us 05 for IPAs. some people might tell you to drop the crystal all together, but I the 20-40L would get the job done without being too much. The aromatic malt seems way out of place though.
My last IPA was .5 lb Cara pils and .5 lb crystal 20L.
The oats are tricky. A brewery close by made an oatmeal pale ale that was awesome.
Your hoping is decent but you couldn't hurt anything by upping the dry hops, but I am the guy who will pop hop pellets in his mouth on brew day.

I'm going to agree on taking out the oats. I like my IPA's fine with 05 or 001 yeast and try to use at least 2 oz dry hopped.
I've used Aromatic a few times in my IPA's and they give it a nice color so I personally have no problem with that. Maybe add a little carapils to guarantee you some head character and body.

I'm going to have to agree with previous posts, take out the oats and aromatic. I'd add some carapils, and maybe a little wheat lme. As for yeast, I'd go with S-05.

Agreed again. Plus using gold LME you really won't need that much crystal either. I really like 1272 for my IPA's during the summer time. Seems a little more resistant to heat than 1056. But that's just me.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will definitely bring the dry hop up to 2oz. Cascade leaf hops and I think I might try 05 yeast.

I had the aromatic malt in the recipe because the 2 IPAs I made from kits both had it in them, Hop Head Double IPA, and Hop Cult IPA both from Midwest.

I am also thinking maybe now to reduce the Golden Naked Oats to maybe a 1/4 lb. now just to give something a little extra. Maybe add a 1/4 lb. of Carapils.

Still adjusting and taking advice for a little while before I brew this batch.

How long do you think I should leave this in the secondary and dry hop for.

Thank you,
Jeff

Well, the "golden naked oats" aren't like the flaked oats we use in oatmeal. In that state, they give a nice nutty flavor without that oily slickness of flaked oats. I'd leave them in.

I do like some malt backbone in my IPA, but with the extract you have you probably don't need the aromatic malt. What I would do is either cut the aromatic, or sub some of the malt extract with corn sugar so that you don't get such a "thick" finish in the IPA.

Either this:

5lbs. Gold liquid malt extract
1 pound corn sugar
1/4 lb. Belgian Aromatic Malt

or this:

6lbs. Gold liquid malt extract

depending on the amount of body you want in the finished beer. I like a malt backbone with a dry finish in my IPAs so I often leave out the crystal malt and keep a little aromatic malt in it and lighten the body a bit with some simple sugar instead of all extract.

You don't need carapils with the crystal malt you have in there, so you're good there.

I'd probably cut the nugget to one ounce, as it's pretty high in AAUs and you should have enough bitterness with one ounce there. Otherwise, I like the hopping.

Right now its starting to shape up.

6 lbs. Gold Liquid Malt extract
1/2 lb. Crystal 50-60L
1/4 lb. Belgian Aromatic Malt
1 oz. Nugget pellet hops for bittering
1.5 oz. Centennial pellet Hops for flavor
1.5 oz. Centennial pellet hops for aroma
2 oz. Cascade leaf hops for dry hopping
05 yeast

I won't be brewing for another couple of weeks so still taking advice. How long do you think I should dry hop for and how long in the secondary.

This is only my 5th brew and the first that's not a kit. I did add some things to the last kit but this is my first I am making up. Wish me luck and all advice is welcome.

Thank you,
Jeff

I would hop-burst this. Up the flavor and aroma additions. The hop flavor becomes so pronounced this way.

It's the only way I hop my IPAs.

Back