Need Hops Recomendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KillJoy

Reaction score
I have been asked by several in my family to make a beer that seems to be an American Light.

This is a recipe I found from Brewer's Best, it is NOT my own.

Here is what I have so far:

3.3 lbs Pilsen LME
1 lb Pilsen DME
8 oz Corn Sugar
8 oz Rice Syrup Solids

.5 oz Bittering
.5 oz Aroma

Safale S-04

What Hops should I use to keep this as "Bud Light" as possible?

And please, I do not need any "Get them to drink a real beer" comments.

KillJoy

Do you have the ability to lager? I'm using s04 for the first time right now, but I wouldn't think an english ale yeast would first choice for that style

something with a low a.a. and benign characteristics..... maybe Fuggles or Willamette?

What Hops should I use to keep this as "Bud Light" as possible?

Willamette hops are pretty commonly used in American macro lagers. They're not really my favorite, but they're inoffensive enough. By that I mean, they have a very mild flavor that at least won't put anyone off. They have the extra benefit of being super cheap.

Honestly,Fuggle at about .75 to one oz might be just the right amount for this style. Have you considered adding some grains to this recipe?

Brew them a Kolsch. My BMC friends love this beer and I love dark beer and I think this is great too. Perfect summer brew.

I've brewed it twice and it was gone very fast!
Not my recipe FYI.

Kölsch - extract
OG: 1.048
This pale, light-bodied golden ale is copyrighted by, brewed in, and named for the German city of Köln. Kölschbier is traditionally given a long, cold aging period like a lager, which makes for a very smooth and clean beer. A small dose of German Hallertau hops gives a little authentic dryness without making the beer bitter - very refreshing.

6 lbs. Alexander's Pale Malt Syrup
1 lb. Laaglander Light DME
1.5 oz. Hallertau (60 min)
.5 oz. Hallertau (10 min)
Wyeast Kölsch #2565

The description says give it a long cold aging period but the last batch I drank it after fermenting for 7 days straight to the keg and force carbing. It was great and pitchers were flowing during our poker game.

I've actually never let it age. Maybe I should next time to see if it is better!

Unfortunately, no.

:(

And please, if you feel I should change the Yeast, let me know what you think!

KillJoy

I'd suggest a clean yeast like US-05 or Nottingham fermented at a low temp. I do the t-shirt, water, and fan trick and am keeping my ales in the low 60's when it's about 75 here in the house. I also change out bottles of ice water.

+1 to Willamette -Maybe an ounce at 60 min and half an ounce at 20 min.

+1 to US-05 -Just make sure you ferment it in the mid to low sixties.

Thanks guys!

Keep the suggestions flowing! :D

I do have a basement has been at 68* for the last 7 months..... so... I think I can keeps the temps lower :D

KillJoy

I too will throw my vote to US-05.
as for hops, I like nugget or CTZ for a bittering and willamette/cascade for an aroma, though all willamette isnt a bad idea. i dont get a lot of "aroma" hop in the usual BMC so I might even lean towards just firing in ~25 ibu's at 60min and not worrying about a late addition.

Latest posts

Back