Need Hops Help for Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tetzlaf

Reaction score
I made an American Amber Ale a couple months ago that I found to be over powering. Like someone put perfume in my beer. The hop schedual was as follows:

0.70oz Horizion 60mins
0.25oz Amarillo 10mins
0.25oz Centennial 10mins
0.25oz Amarillo 0min
0.25oz Centennial 0min

I don't think I am a hop head to begin with but I am trying to redo the beer with a change in hops. I would like to try Glacier and Perle hops sooner or later just wasnt sure if either would work with an Amber or if I should be trying to move the boil times around.

After reading Glacier hops go good with "C" hops I was thinking something like:

0.60oz Centennial 60mins
0.25oz Glacier 15mins
0.25oz Centennial 15mins
0.25oz Glacier 3mins
0.25oz Centennial 3 mins

Not sure just looking for ideas. When pairing a 5%aa hop with a 9.5%aa hop should one up the amount of the lower aa hop? Will the cent overpower the same amount of glacier?

Matt

When pairing a 5%aa hop with a 9.5%aa hop should one up the amount of the lower aa hop? Will the cent overpower the same amount of glacier?

AA doesn't matter for flavor/aroma adds. I'd drop the last Centennial. Reds are better with less hop aroma, but you could always dryhop if you had too.

Back