mosaic smash help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussie brewer

Reaction score
Hi, im trying to work out a hop schedule for a maris otter smash
heres what i have so far
7.1kg maris otter
7.9g mosaic 60mins 7.6ibu
30.4g mosaic 15mins 15.2ibu
40.6g mosaic 0mins (10min steep)7.1ibu
95g mosaic dry hop
og 1.049 30ibu
batch size 32L
california V yeast
What do you guys think of this one? should i change or tweak anything?
not sure of the 60min mosaic addition?
so4 110 cl 50
cheers!

Maybe change the 60-minute addition to a first wort hop? You'll keep the bittering and hopefully add a touch of aroma.

Maybe change the 60-minute addition to a first wort hop? You'll keep the bittering and hopefully add a touch of aroma.
First wort sounds like a good idea, i just did a smash using galaxy with additions at 20min 5min and 0min and the beer has a harsh bitterness that lingers for 5 min. Ive never used mosaic and im a bit worried i might get a similar harshness?

I've never tried Galaxy, but I recently did a blonde with 93% pilsner, 5% carahell, 2%melanoidin, with 6.6IBU of Magnum FWH, 19IBU of Mosaic at 20 minutes, and whirpooled less than 1IBU each of Mosaic and Motueka for about 15 minutes around 75C. The Mosaic really stood out with no harshness that I noticed. Definitely going to make that one again.

What's with the odd measurements? 30.4g at 15 mins etc? Just round them to keep things simple.

My thoughts - that'll be extremely hop forward - at only 1.049 and nearly 6g/L of hops. That's OK if it's what you're aiming for (and probably is) - the hops won't be subtle.
Do you have experience with WLP051? I've only used it a couple of times (quite recently) and find that it really blocks hop flavour. It's very clean with some nice, delicate fruity esters and a bit of sulphur. I'm not surprised to find that it's actually classified as Saccharomyces pastorianus (not cerevesiae, as most ale yeasts are) as it tastes (to me) more like a warm fermented lager yeast. IMO, it's more suited to a blonde or cream ale. If you want the hops to 'pop', choose something else.

I've never tried Galaxy, but I recently did a blonde with 93% pilsner, 5% carahell, 2%melanoidin, with 6.6IBU of Magnum FWH, 19IBU of Mosaic at 20 minutes, and whirpooled less than 1IBU each of Mosaic and Motueka for about 15 minutes around 75C. The Mosaic really stood out with no harshness that I noticed. Definitely going to make that one again.
Thanks Ebbelwoi, that sounds like a nice recipe!

What's with the odd measurements? 30.4g at 15 mins etc? Just round them to keep things simple.

My thoughts - that'll be extremely hop forward - at only 1.049 and nearly 6g/L of hops. That's OK if it's what you're aiming for (and probably is) - the hops won't be subtle.
Do you have experience with WLP051? I've only used it a couple of times (quite recently) and find that it really blocks hop flavour. It's very clean with some nice, delicate fruity esters and a bit of sulphur. I'm not surprised to find that it's actually classified as Saccharomyces pastorianus (not cerevesiae, as most ale yeasts are) as it tastes (to me) more like a warm fermented lager yeast. IMO, it's more suited to a blonde or cream ale. If you want the hops to 'pop', choose something else.
Cheers gnomebrewer, ive never tried that yeast before? i was going to put 23L in one fermenter and 9L in another, i might go some wlp001 in the 23L and something different in the 9L?

I would disagree about the yeast, WLP051 can make very nice IPA's but it is not as dry and neutral as Chico and derivatives. It actually works well for heavy hopping, as the higher gravity and mouthfeel provide a nice balance. It is a popular yeast among some NEIPA brewers for that reason. That said, to keep it clean and crisp, pitch a higher cell count (>0.75 m/c/ml/P), provide adequate oxygen, and ferment around 65-68F. Lower and you'll get sulfur.

One of my favorite simple recipes is Galaxy-Mosaic with MO or Golden Promise. 1.048 and 35 BU, big whirlpool and no dry hopping. I can drink that stuff all day.

I would disagree about the yeast, WLP051 can make very nice IPA's but it is not as dry and neutral as Chico and derivatives. It actually works well for heavy hopping, as the higher gravity and mouthfeel provide a nice balance. It is a popular yeast among some NEIPA brewers for that reason. That said, to keep it clean and crisp, pitch a higher cell count (>0.75 m/c/ml/P), provide adequate oxygen, and ferment around 65-68F. Lower and you'll get sulfur.

One of my favorite simple recipes is Galaxy-Mosaic with MO or Golden Promise. 1.048 and 35 BU, big whirlpool and no dry hopping. I can drink that stuff all day.
Cheers bierhaus15, id love to check out your recipe!

My house ale is a Maris Otter / Mosaic SMaSH.
11LB.Maris Otter
14g Mosaic @ FWH
14g Mosaic @ 60
28g Mosaic @ 15
28g Mosaic @ WP/ hop stand
WlP001 or WLP007 Yeast (I preferred 007 but both are great)
Mash @153
Ferment @ 62°F - 64°F
Very drinkable. I try to have this on tap at all tiimes.

Cheers bierhaus15, id love to check out your recipe!

Pretty much the same as the above, but with a bit more late hops and a WP rest for 20 minutes at 180F. Water is 100% RO with target final wort of 110 ppm Ca, 150 ppm S04, 50 ppm Cl. Ferment cool, with a dry and flocculant yeast that lends some balance, like WY1332 or WLP051.

6 gallon - 1.048
10.0 lbs - Golden Promise / Otter
14 g - Mosaic @ 60
42 g - Mosaic @ 15
56 g - Mosaic @ WP
56 g - Galaxy @ WP

My house ale is a Maris Otter / Mosaic SMaSH.
11LB.Maris Otter
14g Mosaic @ FWH
14g Mosaic @ 60
28g Mosaic @ 15
28g Mosaic @ WP/ hop stand
WlP001 or WLP007 Yeast (I preferred 007 but both are great)
Mash @153
Ferment @ 62°F - 64°F
Very drinkable. I try to have this on tap at all tiimes.
Thanks VTX1300,what is the batch size? might give this a go!

Pretty much the same as the above, but with a bit more late hops and a WP rest for 20 minutes at 180F. Water is 100% RO with target final wort of 110 ppm Ca, 150 ppm S04, 50 ppm Cl. Ferment cool, with a dry and flocculant yeast that lends some balance, like WY1332 or WLP051.

6 gallon - 1.048
10.0 lbs - Golden Promise / Otter
14 g - Mosaic @ 60
42 g - Mosaic @ 15
56 g - Mosaic @ WP
56 g - Galaxy @ WP
Cheers bierhaus15, ill have to add this to my brew list!

Back