Need Hop Schedule Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noodle23

Reaction score
SO i have an IPA i have been working on and I am drinking it today. Its super freakin bitter. Way to bitter. Like not 70ibus bitter. It could be because I missed my boil volume (first batch on new system) or an infection but I'm wondering what you guys think of the hop schedule and if it could be the problem. Any thought would be great. Thanks. For 10gallons it should be about 70ibus depending on the program that i use.

hops
use time oz variety form aa
boil 60 mins 1.0 Magnum pellet 13.1
boil 20 mins 2.0 Amarillo pellet 8.5
boil 20 mins 2.0 Citra pellet 13.5
post-boil 1 min 2.0 Amarillo pellet 8.5
post-boil 1 min 2.0 Cascade pellet 5.5
post-boil 1 min 2.0 Citra pellet 13.2
dry hop 1 day 2.0 Amarillo pellet 8.5
dry hop 1 day 2.0 Cascade pellet 5.5
dry hop 1 day 2.0 Citra

It's a lot of 20 min hops. If it took you a long time to cool down the wort, those 20 min additions might have added a lot more IBUs than is calculated by software. Maybe dial those back to 10 min and reduce the quantities a bit?

I'd cut the 60 minute hops, and change up the late additions. Like this:

boil 60 mins 1 oz Magnum pellet
boil 15 mins 2.0 Amarillo pellet
boil 10 mins 2.0 Citra pellet
2 oz amarillo 5 minutes
2 oz citra 0 minutes

dry hop 7 days: 2 oz Amarillo pellet, 2 oz citra

Frodo:
That is something i didn't consider so thank you.
Yooper:
So you would take out the cascade all together? I also thought about doing the magnum at. 5oz for 90min... What do you think?
And next year we'll be drinkig the packers winning the superbowl.

Frodo:
That is something i didn't consider so thank you.
Yooper:
So you would take out the cascade all together? I also thought about doing the magnum at. 5oz for 90min... What do you think?
And next year we'll be drinkig the packers winning the superbowl.

You can use it if you'd like! I just gave an idea of a good time/amount for an IPA- you can use cascade also.

The difference between 60 minutes and 90 minutes for hops is negligible, so it doesn't matter much at all. For a 1.064 IPA, I"d target IBUs of about 65 and about 30- 40 of those IBUs with 60 minute hops.

Back