Need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yzf426scott

Reaction score
I'm building a rims system and was planning on using three of the bayou classic 210,000 btu burners what psi regulator should I use for this? Also keep in mind I'm looking to be able to run all three burners at the same time. Any help or thoughts would be much appreciated.

You're going to need a 30psi regulator or a high pressure regulator I would assume. Your biggest concern should be the size of your propane tank. If you use a standard grill tank it will freeze up in no time. If you wanted to run all three at the same time I would get a 100lb tank or run a tank for each burner.

I'm building a rims system and was planning on using three of the bayou classic 210,000 btu burners what psi regulator should I use for this? Also keep in mind I'm looking to be able to run all three burners at the same time. Any help or thoughts would be much appreciated.

I don't know that I could afford the propane needed to keep all three 210,000 BTU burners running at the same time. Are you building an electric RIMS? If yes, why do you need three burners? For that matter, why do you need to have all three burners going at the same time? If you are doing an electric RIMS and doing consecutive batches you still only need two burners to run at the same time.

I don't know that I could afford the propane needed to keep all three 210,000 BTU burners running at the same time. Are you building an electric RIMS? If yes, why do you need three burners? For that matter, why do you need to have all three burners going at the same time? If you are doing an electric RIMS and doing consecutive batches you still only need two burners to run at the same time.
I'm not going to be using electric and probably will never have all burners running full blast at the same time and if I do it wouldn't be for very long I was just seeing what it would take if the situation ever arose so that I can build it right the first time lol

Are you talking about HERMs?

RIMS = Electric element in a tube that heats wort as it's pumped from the bottom of the mash
HERMs = Coil of tubing in your HLT that heats wort as it's pumped from the bottom of the mash

HERMs is really the only system that's compatible with gas burners (Used to heat the HLT water)

Are you talking about HERMs?

RIMS = Electric element in a tube that heats wort as it's pumped from the bottom of the mash
HERMs = Coil of tubing in your HLT that heats wort as it's pumped from the bottom of the mash

HERMs is really the only system that's compatible with gas burners (Used to heat the HLT water)
Rims is recirculation infusion mash system correct? I don't see what that has to do with the way I'm going to heat and regulate wart temp during mash.

What my plan for this is as follows
I have a digital programmer and everything needed to ignite my burner as needed including turning on and off gas flow to the burner. Will this not work? Also if I'm using the wrong term with rims what is the correct term for what I'm doing?

You are correct - Sort of...

They are both "Recirculating" systems. HERMS = "Heat Exchange Recirculation Mash" as opposed to "Recirculating Infusion Mash. In RIMS you pump wort across an electric heating element inside a short tube. In HERMs you pump wort through a coil of tubing inside your HLT for the heat exchange.

If you are talking about using a gas burner to heat your HLT, and pumping your wort through that coil to maintain temperature, you're talking about a HERMs.

It's all good - And it sounds like you are set with control and whatnot. Just wanted you to have the correct terminology for what you are building.

I think what he's building is a direct fired MLT that recirculates without a heat exchanger. I may be wrong on this...

It could also be a gas fired rims, where he's recirculating through a separate vessel that's over the burner (this is the equivalent of the element in a tube). In this case it seems to me that the burner will probably be cycling on/off pretty frequently, depending on the volume maintained in the RIMS vessel.

I think what he's building is a direct fired MLT that recirculates without a heat exchanger. I may be wrong on this...

It could also be a gas fired rims, where he's recirculating through a separate vessel that's over the burner (this is the equivalent of the element in a tube). In this case it seems to me that the burner will probably be cycling on/off pretty frequently, depending on the volume maintained in the RIMS vessel.
Sorry I didn't know term for what I was building now I do
It's a direct fired mlt thanks for all the help and info, much appreciated :)

Sorry I didn't know term for what I was building now I do
It's a direct fired mlt thanks for all the help and info, much appreciated :)

Now I understand. Are you going to manually regulate the burner under the mash tun? If yes then the only question I have is why do you need a 210,000 to do it? Last question I have is if you are using a false bottom in the mash tun?

Now I understand. Are you going to manually regulate the burner under the mash tun? If yes then the only question I have is why do you need a 210,000 to do it? Last question I have is if you are using a false bottom in the mash tun?
Yeah I'm gonna have a hand valve to cut down the flame I know 210,000 btu is overkill for the mlt lol but I just wanted it all to be the same I'm just weird that way. Plus it would give the ability to change things around or use the burners for other purposes. Anyway yeah I will have a false bottom in my mlt

Yeah I'm gonna have a hand valve to cut down the flame I know 210,000 btu is overkill for the mlt lol but I just wanted it all to be the same I'm just weird that way. Plus it would give the ability to change things around or use the burners for other purposes. Anyway yeah I will have a false bottom in my mlt
Also wondering were I should put my heat sensor for the programmer in this set up

I.e like inline in bottom or top or directly in the mlt somewhere?

Be very careful with the heat on the MLT. With a direct heated Mash Tun it's easy to scortch the mash.

Back