Need help with wheat recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emagdnim13

Reaction score
Heres the recipe:

3.43 LME Light
2.81 LME Wheat
0.41 lb Munich
0.41 lb rice hulls

9g Yakima magnum FWH
8g Centennial 10min
21g Centennial 0 min

Mash at 152 for 60, mash out at 165, 10 min batch sparge

Wyeast 2565 kolsch at 62F

1.050 OG
1.010 FG

My question concerns the small amount of grains used. How do I go about mashing such a small amount of grains?

Also, does the recipe look good, any concerns or suggestions?

look up partial mash. You can do it on the stove top and then add in the LME after. I did a wheat with a kolsh yeast and centenial and cascade hops and it came out great.

I didn't run the numbers but the recipe looks alright. You may want to use more wheat extract and less light because the wheat extract is normally 60/40 wheat/2-row. There is no need for rice hulls. There is no need for launtering aids with just extract. I'd just use a pound of the munich extract (it's 50:50) and the rest wheat. If you really want to mash the half pound of Munich just steep it at 148-158 for 60 minutes or so. Since you can brew it with just extract I don't recommend it. It's too much work for such a small amount.

A couple things (basically what Malticulous said):

1. If you're set on using the Munich, you'll have to do a partial mash. Essentially just "steep" the Munich at 150-155F and then strain the grains out leaving just the wort. See the HBT wiki for more detailed instructions, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Partial_Mash_Simplified. You probably can forgo the sparge based on the small amount of Munich you're using.

2. I'd use only the wheat extract, there are a lot of bad extract wheat recipes on the web that call for a mix of light extract and wheat, but that's not necessary. Wheat extract is already a 50-50, or 60-40 blend of light and wheat, depending on the brand. That ratio is appropriate for this style. If you only change one thing, make it this, you won't be disappointed.

3. You don't need any rice hulls since this is a partial mash recipe. Rice hulls are used to prevent a stuck sparge (straining of grain and water) when doing an all-grain recipe.

4. I guess you can do a FWH in a partial mash beer, but I'd add the FWH addition at 60 minutes. You should get better hop utilization this way.

Back