Need Help with washed yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryceL

Reaction score
So this was my first time washing yeast (WLP002) and used the sticky by Bernie Brewer. I followed the tutorial and ended up with what seems like very little yeast. I've got 4 pint size mason jars with about 1/2cm of slurry on the bottom of each. Question #1, does this sound right or should I have ended up with more? I will be brewing again next week and was hoping to use this yeast. I will be doing an IPA with an OG of 1.070 and according to Mrmalty I will need 121ml of slurry. So Question #2, It sounds like I need to make a starter with my washed yeast to build up the cell count. How large of a starter will I need? I did some volume calculations and I think I have about 76ml of washed yeast to start with. Any help on this one?

WLP002 is a ***** of a yeast to work with when washing. It has such a high flocculation, and packed cake that it is ridiculoulsy hard to break up when attempting to wash.
It sounds like you had a similar experience to mine with your first washing of a British Ale yeast. I would decant and combine all four jars, then make a 4000mL starter, by making 2L, then buming it up 24 hours later to 4L, chill for 24-48 hrs, then decant and save a vial full before pitching into your wort.

When washing english strains,you must shake the shiiiit out of them in order to break up the yeast so it can be seperated and washed.

This way you will have a fresh vial for next time, and you will have made a sufficent starter for almost any gravity beer you have made.

have brewed 15 gallons so far thismonth, and I have used 3 different yeasts.. For each I have made a 4L/1gal starter, and saved a WL vial full of hte slurry before pitching, and I will do the same before each subsequent brew, this way I acan use my yeast for a few generations without problems. I would suggest doing the same, you just need tomake your starter about 4 days early.

Thanks for your help. I knew that it was a highly floculant yeast, so that makes sense. I'll have to get going on the starter and then i'll bump it up to 4L to see if I can get enough to use. I've done starters but haven't had to step them up yet. Do I just make the 2L starter and then 24 hours later make 2L more of wort, let it cool and dump it into the fermenting 2 liters?

I get good results with my method of washing wyeast 1968 (same as wlp002). I experimented awhile and came up with these instructions that I copied over from my Beersmith notes. You need to get the yeast out of the carboy fast before it settles, this is key to getting a good harvest. Then to get the most yeast in the jars I do a decant out of the gallon jar to get a higher concentration of yeast before filling the jars.

1 gallon of boiled water chilled to room temp.
Add to carboy and shake it good.
10 minutes and decant top layer back into sanitized 1 gallon growler, fill to about 3/4 of a gallon.
Let it sit for 30 minutes or more to let yeast drop.
Decant top clear liquid to leave about 1/2 gallon.
Shake it up and immediately pour to fill 4 pint jars.

I gave it a good shake in the carboy but waited about 25 minutes before pouring off the liquid...probably a bit too long. I'll give your method a go next time around. Thanks!

Back