Need help with my hop plants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrew30

Reaction score
I'm new to growing hops this is my first year
My hops look like they are burning up but the highs here in Montana have only been in the 70s
I'm not sure if I'm over watering unerring or they are deprived of nutrients please help
I've been watering everyday about a 1/2 gallon per plant and under my mulch is always moist but not drenched the soil has good drainage and the plants have good new growth I fertilized them about a month ago when I first planted them with miracle grow 24-8-16 they are starter plants not rhizomes please help
This is my nugget plant View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1432843614.839332.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1432843647.284483.jpg

I rarely water my nugget plant in Western NY, and actually borderline neglected it in its first year. The second year it grew into a 25'+ monster. I still do not water it unless we have an unusually dry spell for a week or longer. It has thrived again for its third year, with little maintenance other than picking off weaker bines and has encountered multiple frosts every year.

I'm sorry I can not help more, maybe someone else will have better answers. My only concern is that they were not planted as rhizomes as I am unsure the quality of just starting one without. Please keep us updated so we can see how things go.

New growth looks promising. Cut back all the old growth and cut back on the watering.

1st year will do better next year if you limit foliage so the plant can develop a hearty root system.

Looks like transplant shock to me, happened to my hops last year that I bought as plants. Don't worry too much about it the new growth looks good.

Stop watering. I agree cut back the bines now. You have to keep the rhizomes happy. You can always check the roots and make sure they are happy. Dark brown/red mean they are gonzo. Pythium can set in really fast with heat and over watering young plants.

Back