Need help with infection questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackshirtproud

Reaction score
First and foremost I have Googled and searched this site high and low, and also have read what Palmer has to say about different types of infection.
All results were vague, And quite frankly have not answered my question with a scientific fact.
I was wondering if anyone has a link to a study on whether an infected batch can do harm in some instances. The reason I ask is that I have spent the night at the E.R. after running fevers in the 102 range for about two days. After running every test known to man including CAT scans they still have yet to determine a cause, They have ruled out any strain of the flu which has been very prevalent around my area.
The only thing that would make me question the brew is that I taste tested the hyd. sample and the rest of the family did not yet I am the only one that has gotten very ill and being a noob I am very unsure of my sanitary practices (Put water in air lock and some drooped in when I moved the bucket).

My batch does not have crazy looking spores growing on it or anything that would be obvious from the pics I have seen on here.

I am hoping to rule this out and help figure out what could of been a life threatening illness.

Sorry for being long winded but I wanted to explain everything the best I could.

I would almost bet your problems were not caused by the beer. It's been stated several times that no known pathogens can survive in beer.

The sample did not taste revolting or smell rotten, Had one blow out(but I also had some habenaro chips earlier) but no barfing or anything.

This is all in week one of the primary.

Nope, no known pathogens can survive in beer. That's why you can't find any information on food poisoning from beer, is because it just doesn't happen. Anything that would make you ill in beer, would also make you barf because of the taste. So unless you're dryhopping with jenkem it's not the beer.

Well, thank you for all of your answers.
I am both glad and kinda freaked, I relly enjoy brewing but it would of been an easy answer to what caused a mystery illness.

Thanks again, Zac

Back