Need help with "C-Type" Keg Posts (firestone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dloucks

Reaction score
About six months ago I bought a 4 keg pack from one of our great members here. I used three of the kegs many times but had not had 20g going at once and had not had a need to use the third until this week.

When taking off the gas post to replace the gas tube o-ring, a small piece of white plastic fell out, along with the poppet.

Now, there might have been a rubber o-ring in there somewhere, and it fell out when I took the post off but I never saw one. The poppet, the plastic piece (and the o ring if one exists) all fell out at the same time. I can't for the life of me get it to go back together.

Does anyone have a picture of how this goes back together. Seems like it would be self explanatory, and I'd rather not spend 18+8 shipping to buy a new assembled post.

23-6076.gif

Is this the one?

If those are kegs I'm thinking of then they changed over the years. Does this keg have a metal IN dip tube or a plastic one? I have an old Firestone that came with that plastic spacer on both the liquid and gas side. I still need some sort of gasket/o-ring on the dip tubes though (this keg actually requires flat gaskets...that I found rummaging through a bunch of stuff).

In mine I need a gasket on the dip tube...insert dip tube w/ gasket into keg. Then carefully place the spacer atop the dip tube. The tricky part is getting the poppet in there straight when you tighten the post. Here's two methods I've used:
Place poppet in post such that the top of the poppet is flush with the top of the post (like it should be after installation)...then place a piece of tape on the top of the post such that it also holds the poppet in place...then carefully thread the whole assembly on. OR using the barbed piece of a 1/4" T-nut...press the poppet in from the back such that it will stay in place (the hollow center in this part of the tee-nut allows you to press the 'legs' of the poppet without pressing the center shaft of the poppet). Then carefully thread it on. I typ use the second method.

One tip that also might help is that some kegs require you to tighten the post all the way down...but some kegs actually seal better when you don't tighten all the way down. This oddball keg of mine with the flat gaskets seals better when you don't tighten all the way down...you'll feel the gasket squeezing as you tighten.

So, if i'm looking at this correctly, there is no "o-ring" anywhere in this contraption on the gas post side? The nylon spacer is it? If so that makes a lot more sense.

For what it is worth the gas tub is plastic.

Thanks, I'll try the tape method and see if I can put humpty back together again.

23-6076.gif

Is this the one?

Yeah, thats the one. But the liquid line didn't have have a nylon spacer like the other side, did, though it didn't seal up the way I thought it should either so it might have been missing from the start.

Back