Need help with a Frootwood clone...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EkieEgan

Reaction score
Hello all,
I really enjoyed Founder's Frootwood release last year. I know it's a beer that some didn't care for, but I ended up loving it. It was released last year in January and thus far, has not been released this year. I asked on FB and Founder's just said they haven't announce all of their barrel series beers yet. I am assuming at this point it won't be released this year. Has anyone attempted making this beer? A light Cherry ale seems simple enough and hitting it with some charred white oak soaked in bourbon is doable, but what about the maple? We all know that maple syrup ferments out, leaving little to no maple character, but Frootwood definately picked up interesting notes from the maple syrup that was aged in the barrel. This is the part that is making me scratch my head. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?? How to attempt such a beer? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I thought it was a great beer too. Am would be really interested in seeing what people suggest

I know you found my thread already, but to comment here, I think i'm going to make a first pass attempt in 2 weeks. Fermenter should be cleared by then so I can brew again. Not sure how I'll tackle the maple part yet. Honestly I might just soak a bunch of oak in bourbon and syrup, add that, and then add some additional syrup to secondary. I didn't get a ton of maple flavor from the original anyway.

Same here..will take a whack at it this week or next. I'm definately going to add maple syrup to the keg. I am not anticipating a large amount either..Frootwood was not maple forward like you said. I just want to make sure it's as clear as it can be first. Certainly don't want refermentation after it's kegged and carbonated. I figure a high attenuating neutral yeast would be good? If you or others have thoughts on yeast choice, I'm all ears. I bought two 49 ounce cans of cherry puree from morebeer, but I think I will use one. Frootwood isn't smack you in the face with cherry either. Can't wait to see how we do :D We should have some decent results I imagine..at least we will know if we are going in the right direction!

My thought was to make an Amber ale. Nothing to crazy..hop it just enough to balance. I brewed a Rauch today so it's next.

FWIW, When I asked Bent Hill Brewery in VT for advice (because they made a beer not too dissimilar), they said they start with a strong ale. Seems like a good enough place for me. Frootwood always looked like it's color came from the cherries, not the base beer. But I don't think you'd go that wrong starting with an amber.

I'm 80% to a happy place with my recipe. Going to try and brew late next week. I'll share what I go with when it's finalized.

I guess it all depends on the ABV you want to achieve? I said amber, but it would be a stronger amber for sure. Frootwood is 8% so I would guess shooting for a 6.5-7% beer without the sugar from the cheeries would be good? Not sure what a can of cherry puree will contribute, but I'll find out. Gotta start somewhere. Good info cegan09..thanks!

I would think you would need a decent amount of residual sugar because the cherry will dry the beer out.

I am immediately think an amber made with 2 crystal malts, say 80 and 120. Maybe Redx as a base malt.

Back