Need Help w/buying equip for AG switch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmac00

Reaction score
Ok, looking to make the switch to all grain and want to shop around for equipment (craigslist and similar sites, etc.). Already picked up a 10 gallon rubbermaid drink cooler for $15....So next up is a cooker/turkey fryer. What size do i look for? BTU size? Pot size? # of quarts? etc....What's better, electric or propane...i'd assume propane.....Basically looking at what i'll need MINIMUM to do this...whatever size batches are normal..5 or 6 gallon batches i guess?? I have no problem buying bigger burner or pot if i come accross something..but i just want to know what the minimal is needed at least...so i have something to go by as a reference.

thanks in advance...:mug:

Canadian tire have a 64L (16.9 gallons) aluminum pot for $89.99 Product #42-2513-8.
If price is a consideration this is a good deal for a kettle.

You will want to have an immersion chiller, also. I made mine out of 25 feet of 3/8 copper tubing. It is just barely adequate with my 72 degree tap water.

Most turkey fryer pots are around 7.5 gallons. That is about the minimum you can use for a 5 gallon batch. Bigger is better.

Minimum, I would get a 70-80K BTU burner and make sure it has a high pressure regulator on it. Also, if you want to do full boils for 5 gal batches, I wouldn't get anything smaller than 8 gal and, personally, I would steer away from aluminum - don't ask me why, I'm just not a fan.

I use the SQ-14 for my burner, and a keg with the top cut off (no bulkheads or anything) for the pot. The SQ-14 hold the keg great and works great for 5 gallon batches. I've heard mixed reviews for 10 gallon batches with this burner, but with the speed it brings 6 gallons to a boil, i have trouble seeing it not work for 10 gallon batches.

So, I assume you don't have a keg lying around... but at least I can recommend that burner. Nothing flashy, but suits my needs great, and was pretty cheap relative to the other options.

Don't listen to those that say aluminum is bad. Palmer, Jamil, all of the big boys have said that aluminum is just fine. Not always the first choice, but don't worry about it.

I started a long time ago with a 7.5 gallon pot and looking back it is the biggest equipment mistake I have made. You should just go bigger than you will need right off the bat because 7.5 is just enough for 5 gallon batches and you have to really watch the boil like a hawk and lift it off the flame usually, huge pain.

Turkey fryer burner will work for you just fine. That's still what I use and the 10 gallon rubbermaid setup is awesome. Just follow the tutorial in the DIY section of HBT. Good luck!

I think to start a 10 gal pot would be great, but I started with a 15 gallon. The 15 gallon allows you to do 10 gal batches. (Believe me, you will do 10 gal batches at some point). THe 15g is big, but you can do 5g batches in it. Go to a rest supply store.

Most turkey fryer pots are around 7.5 gallons. That is about the minimum you can use for a 5 gallon batch. Bigger is better.

Noticed this as well.....i'll most likely try to find something bigger, quite possibly the pot from cdn tire listed above (64L which is almost 17 gallons) if i can find a decent burner and stand for reasonable price...

Minimum, I would get a 70-80K BTU burner and make sure it has a high pressure regulator on it.

I'll see what i can find locally first, but highly doubt i'll be able to find something this big around this area. But doesn't hurt to try..or come close at least..i'd rather not have to upgrade later.

With thanksgiving coming up, alot of these turkey fryers and stuff are on sale it seems, hence why i'm looking for the info, in hope of saving a few $$$...every little bit helps towards more brew stuff..:mug:

Thanks for all the help so far...:rockin:

So, I assume you don't have a keg lying around.

only keg i got lying around is a 20L one (sanke type), slightly bigger than a corny...the rest are cornies.....if a keg comes accross for a very good price, i'll be sure to pick one up..be keeping an eye out for a while.

Yeah, I have zero issues with the keg. I don't think it's better than a pot of comparable size, but cheaper, so I like it.

Yeah, I have zero issues with the keg. I don't think it's better than a pot of comparable size, but cheaper, so I like it.

i'm more about doing everything on the cheap at first...in case i don't like it or some strange reason like that.. Was talking to a guy who bought a couple of 58L kegs from a metal recycle place for the cost they bought back the metal for...think he paid like $15 bucks each for em....So if i can find something like that, i'll snag one for a pot.

Seen this burner for sale on kijiji for $40 bucks...would this be sufficient? and sturdy enough? seller stated its 85,000 btu's.

propanecooker001.jpg

propanecooker002.jpg

propanecooker0042.jpg

Anyone?? btu wise, it seems like it would work from the suggestions everyone gave....but i'm just curious if the design will be strong enough to hold the weight. Would most likely only be doing 5-6g batches...possibly with a converted keg as that seems to be my cheapest route.. So anyone else use one similar?

Back