Need help/suggestions with gas fittings.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rahahb

Reaction score
I bought this rig from someone who half assed it in places. I get to deal with all of that...

Anyway, this is currently a huge fire hazard. I have been brewing before when the fitting popped out and became a flame thrower. The fitting simply pushes in. It never did screw in correctly. What do you all have?

Attachments

• 20180610_112859.jpg
    20180610_112859.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 135
  • 20180610_112855.jpg
    20180610_112855.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Which part just pushes in? It looks like it all screws together.

If you are talking about the flexible line where it connects to the barb then I would just replace the line with a new one.

The threads on the burner and the line do not match. The 90 degree that you see is not the right size, nor thread count perhaps. I'm not sure what even threads the burner has. I'll be poking around for that info.

Might help to show the whole burner element so we can tell what make/model it is.
Anything that's ever been used in a Bayou Classic cooker will have obtainable orifices (orificii?) with or without integrated needle valves...

Cheers!

Not OP, but is this an appropriate connection? Just have a reservation the crowned brass shouldn't go on to iron.

Attachments

• IMG_20180616_142110.jpg
    IMG_20180616_142110.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_20180616_142119.jpg
    IMG_20180616_142119.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 102
I have brass with my iron pipe, why the reservation?
The iron to brass didn't seat as nicely as iron to iron, and I was concerned that perhaps the bevel on that brass needed a specific fitting to accompany it.

Figured it'd be better to throw a picture up on here and double check rather than live in doubt or lose my eyebrows lol.

The iron to brass didn't seat as nicely as iron to iron, and I was concerned that perhaps the bevel on that brass needed a specific fitting to accompany it.

Figured it'd be better to throw a picture up on here and double check rather than live in doubt or lose my eyebrows lol.

Those threads do not look to match. The brass looks to be MFL (flared) while I would expect the galvanized part to be NPT (pipe).

I appreciate it. Went to HD and got brass threaded couplings ($8 each, ouch!) and a propane to NPT adapter for the incoming gas. Now i can scratch the gas portion off the todo list!

Might help to show the whole burner element so we can tell what make/model it is.
Anything that's ever been used in a Bayou Classic cooker will have obtainable orifices (orificii?) with or without integrated needle valves...

Cheers!
I found bg14 marked on it. So, a banjo burner from bayou classic, right? I'm trying to find the orifices for it. I wonder why the ones it came with don't fit.

I found bg14 marked on it. So, a banjo burner from bayou classic, right? I'm trying to find the orifices for it. I wonder why the ones it came with don't fit.
That is weird that they don't fit but they are mass produced so I'm sure mistakes happen. If you can't find the fittings locally you might try contacting bayou classic and get the fittings right from them.

That is weird that they don't fit but they are mass produced so I'm sure mistakes happen. If you can't find the fittings locally you might try contacting bayou classic and get the fittings right from them.

I'm not sure the guy that put this thing together didn't screw that up. There are some rigged up things with this. Finally trying to fix them.

Gas leaks from where the nail is pointed at. I don't know the proper fittings but these don't look them to me. The brass fitting attached to the gas line has this inner part that has some play back and forth within the larger fitting surrounding it. The inside piece does not seat into anything so there is no seal, allowing gas to seep past the inner diameter of the outer fitting, and outer diameter of the inner fitting(sorry for that confusion..).

What is the proper fitting here?

Attachments

• 20180621_174747.jpg
    20180621_174747.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 75
  • 20180621_175128.jpg
    20180621_175128.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 73

Latest posts

Back