Need help picking an all in one system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ngomes

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm fairly new to brewing but would like to get an electric setup so I can brew without the danger of propane and an open flame in the house. I'm not that handy so DIY projects are a little sketchy to me. I'm looking for a single vessel eBIAB setup with a rim system and it has to be 120v. at most I would only brew 2.5 gallons at a time. Which pre-made system would be the best for me?

I have heard nothing but good things about the Grain Father.
I have no experience with it but plenty of people on this forum do.

and are those the cheapest options out there if you go premade? i'm sure if you DIY it would be so much cheaper.

Your size restrictions limit you immensely. Most systems are designed for 5 gallons or more. Larger ones requiring 240v.

2.5 gallons - just use your stove and possibly your oven. I have done a mash then put the pot in the 150 degree pre-heated oven for the mash duration.

For 2.5 gallons, IMO the only systems are the Grainfather for BIAB or the Picobrew Zymatic for full automatic brewing. There are others but they are not currently affordable or in full production.

Both more expensive than stovetop brewing. Just watch for boil overs if stovetop brewing.

It seems difficult to beat the BIAB stove and oven mentioned by kh54... You could chill with the pot in the sink adding ice packs once you get o 95F .. Cheap to get into and as you're new to brewing, It may give you better insight and punderstanding of brewing then going with the all in one straight away.

Either of those are decent options. $330. or $300 + recirculation. OR $20 for a pot and another $5 - $15 for a BIAB bag for the stovetop BIAB

and are those the cheapest options out there if you go premade? i'm sure if you DIY it would be so much cheaper.

Cheapest electric option would be an electric turkey fryer....low power I think 1650w similar to grain father, can be found on Craigslist for less than $50.

Low wattage so don't expect quick heating times, like grainfather :)

NOT an all in one system just a suggestion if your $$$ limited.

This one is 28 qtView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1488725714.892560.jpg

Brewers edge mash and boil looks pretty good. how difficult would it be to add a recirculating system do you think?

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/BREWERS-EDGE-MASH-BOIL--P4216.aspx

JMO, if I were to get a brewers edge, I don't think I would bother recirculating, but would just insulate with a blanket / winter coat during the rest.

Personal preference really how much you want to spend and what level of sophistication you desire. For me, it's not about the money, I just prefer simple, hit strike temp, dough in, insulate the kettle and walk away. It's too easy, no pump or tubing to fool with, no stuck recirculating, no FB, just simple and easy.

Others love flashing digital display to each their own...

Back