Need Help on a failed to ferment batch, First AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacobitti

Reaction score
I have a batch of XMas Ale that has not yet even begun to make an attempt at fermenting.

9 lbs 11.2 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 59.9 %
1 lbs 11.9 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.8 %
1 lbs 6.3 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.6 %
1 lbs 2.6 oz Special Roast (50.0 SRM) Grain 4 7.2 %
1 lbs Wheat Malt, Dark (9.0 SRM) Grain 5 6.0 %
1.18 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 15.5 IBUs
1.20 oz Ginger Root (Boil 12.0 mins) Herb 7 -
0.30 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 8 -
1.30 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 9.9 IBUs
0.94 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 5.5 IBUs
2.40 Items Clove (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 11 -
1.20 tsp Nutmeg (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 12 -
0.90 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 13 -
0.21 oz Cinnamon ground (Boil 5.0 mins)

Recipe called for Mash 5 gals temp of 156 for 45mins. It held to 154.8

Sparged with 5.6 gals at 168

Final Boil Volume was 8.8 gals

Chiiled to 75 degrees then 15 min whirlpool. 2 Fermenters, 1@ 3 gal and 1@ 5 gal

2 packs of WL London Ale in the 5 gal and 1 pack of the same in the 3 gal.

Its been 30 hours and NOTHING!

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated...BTW, This is my first AG batch, so I wondering if I missed something VERY important...

Cheers:mug:

Scott

You didn't miss anything very important, unless the grain wasn't crushed properly...
What was your OG measurement?

Poor crush would have nothing to do with your wort not fermenting. Even the most poorly crushed grain would ferment although your OG numbers would be off. Did you take a hydrometer reading before pitching your yeast and write down your OG? If so, I would take another reading and see if it has changed. Fermentation is not always visible. The only thing that would prevent any kind of fermentation from occurring would be completely dead yeast.

If you are using a bucket, they ALWAYS leak for me so there is no air lock activity. If you are watching for krausen, I've had one batch have no krausen at all and still ferment. It only happened once, but apparently it's possible.

My guess is it's fine, leave it alone for a few weeks.

No buckets, glass carboys. I'll take a quick reading tonight. If its still just sitting should I pitch another round of yeast?

I just find it hard to believe that you had 3 packages of completely dead yeast because that would be the only reason it would not ferment. Before doing anything else, as I said earlier take another reading on them to see if it has changed. I am betting it has or it is just taking a long time for the fermentation to take off. I have heard of that happening before with others.

What temperature are the fermenters at? What was the manufacturing date on your yeast? I wouldn’t be terribly worried after 30 hours. Some yeasts are slow starters (can’t remember if London is one of them).

The fermenters are indoors. the temp is set for 68 degrees...
Yeast packs were:
2@ exp 3/10/18 those went into the 5gal batch and the single pack was a bit old exp 11/17/17

Sucess! Well at least on the 5gal batch, thats the one with the new yeast. The 3 gal I think is a loss, no fermentation at all. I'm going to pitch a new bag of london Ale yeast tonight and hope fopr the best.....Thanks for all the help.

Cheers!

Back