Need help in reading recipes ... please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FaanPret

Reaction score
Hi I'm fairly new to brewing and need some help in understanding some of the hop schedules:

Simcoe [13.00 %] Boil 0.0 min -0.0 IBUs

1. Does this mean I through it in at the flame-out?

1.00 oz** *Columbus [14.00 %] Aroma Steep 30.0 min-0.0 IBUs

2. Not sure what this means?

1.00 oz** *Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] Dry Hop 8.0 Days-0.0 IBUs

3. According to this - when should I through the hops in? And is it secondary or primary?

I am still a novice at brewing so take this with a grain of salt but for Number 1, yes add at flame out. As for Number two add the Columbus when there is 30 mins left in the boil, this round will add the hop aroma for the beer. Then Number 3 once fermentation is done add the Columbus for eight days to dry hop. As I said though I could be wrong.

Also interested to know why all three say 0.0 IBUs, does not seem right in cases 2 and 3.

I think danielofthedale has it right. 1) flameout 2) at 30 minutes remaining boil time 3) after secondary fermentation is complete and you're at final gravity, dry hop and leave it for 8 days

Not quite. Number two means to steep the hops for 30 minutes after knockout, before you start cooling.

Hops added at knockout and steeped contribute at about a twenty minute boil ibu. Dry hops do not contribute to ibu, they only add aroma.

Latest posts

Back